63 Electric heater blower motor

Well Known Member
This is the electric heater motor I removed from my 63 SS Impala , I was wondering if I should leave the undercoating for the correct appearance? The part number is
5044531. It's a 13.5 Volts with no AC

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have seen the undercoating on most (if not all) original blower motors. I think it helps dampen the vibration/ sound of the motor. Since you can't really see it when installed and the extra work required to strip and paint it, I leave the under coating as is.

Well Known Member
Don't know if this is correct that the banana style connector required the motor's case to be insulated (sprayed with undercoating) to prevent the possibility of electrical short circuit and this gives the '63 motor that unique 'wrinkle' finish
This is what an e-Bay seller was saying.

Last edited:

Well Known Member
I just checked the restoration colorcharts for the 63 blower motor and it's blank. Does anybody know if it should be painted or with undercoating?

bobs409

Administrator
Lots of blanks on our chart. Not much input I'm afraid. :(

I'd say these were probably painted gloss black and then sprayed with the coating after the install. (my best edjamacated guess) :D

Well Known Member
Lots of blanks on our chart. Not much input I'm afraid. :(

I'd say these were probably painted gloss black and then sprayed with the coating after the install. (my best edjamacated guess) :D
Thanks bobs409, maybe Phil Reed or Tommy Nolan might have some answers.