63 Impala sees sunshine for the first time in 20 years.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I got this 63 Impala pulled out of a barn on Sunday. Hasn't seen the light of day in almost 20 years.
I have receipts of when the owner rebuilt the motor. He drove it home and parked it. He wrote the miles down when he bought it and after he got home with the new motor. He put a total of 5 miles on it since he bought it and rebuilt the motor. All of the receipts I have are dated and paid back in 1994. It's going to need a lot of TLC but I think it's a nice start.

I just got the car home Sunday night. I took it to the car wash on the trailer just to get the 20 years of dust off.
I think if I wash it again I'll polish and wax it. It should look pretty good if I do that. The tires are shot and it doesn't run. Tires and rims are miss matched. 14 inch on the front and 15's in the back.
The pictures make it look nice but it really does need some work.
http://m1290.photobucket.com/albums...VZEOHxTHJ+Z42bXPFl/8e6d1YGthMj0mUy+1BCjBGX3A=

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
63Impala2doorhardtop008_zps263b67d1.jpg

63Impala2doorhardtop007_zps001833a6.jpg

63Impala2doorhardtop002_zps7540d6ab.jpg

63Impala2doorhardtop005_zps8d858d7b.jpg

63Impala2doorhardtop003_zpsc629b550.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks great to me!!!! I think I would have brought it home too!!!! Congratulations!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice ride.......love those 63's..........:beer
I see it has the early Naugahyde interior option......:rub
nice period example.......get her runnin' soon...:clap
:cheers
bj

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Bob and thanks to everyone else for the kind words.
The gas tank is shot. Got another one on the way. The brakes didn't work when I took it home but
after the brakes were bled they seem to work fine. Probably find the source of that problem later.
The owner told me he rebuilt the motor and replaced all the brake parts, bearings, lines hoses, master cylinder, etc. etc. before he parked it.
Didn't have to do a whole lot to the motor. Poured some gas down the carb and got her running again. I was really surprised even though I knew
the motor wasn't stuck. It will need a carb rebuild kit of course and who knows what else. Just about every rubber hose on that car is shot.
It's still fun anyway. It's my first Impala and I'm kind of excited!

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yep. 283 power glide. Just a cheap Impala I think. I have a 1965 348 that I could build a little stroker motor out of. That would be way later after she's running and driving. All I would need is the 409 crank for the little stroker build. Do they still have that 3.75 stroke crank or did they quit making that one? I already have a 409 crank in the 348 that's in my hot rod. Might as well go bigger next go round.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Red on red, bench seat/column shift, i can dig it:cool: I like the cheep 348 stroker idea. Stick with it keep us posted...