63 Impala SS 409- restoration

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So what is a well restored and well documented 340/pg worth?

Same car cloned with the 4 speed and dual carbs 425hp?

I don’t know but I’d be curious to know what numbers you all think?

I’d rather have the 4 speed car and would pay more for it than the original pg car, but that’s just me. I’d also say if I had that all original car, I’d be less likely to drive it like I stole it?
Many Restomods bring more money than a numbers matching.

Bartman409SS

Well Known Member
Thank you all for all the advice and suggestions! I decided that I’m going with the Fun factor of the super t10 in the car and will retain the PG and all the parts in the event that I sell the car. I guess now I’ll be looking for a TH400 yoke and a trans mount.
thanks

Bartman409SS

Well Known Member
Hi guys. Well I was pulling the front clip off today and look at the surprise I found on the inside passenger fender. An upside down “409” whiten in orange grease pencil. Oddly enough I could actually see some of the writing with the fender on looking behind the heater box. Have you seen this before? A cool thing to look for to confirm an original 409 car!

Attachments

• 5EB7FBF3-11E1-4976-ACDF-306CD45FD21E.jpeg
    5EB7FBF3-11E1-4976-ACDF-306CD45FD21E.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Wiishfull thinking here.That 409 on that fender most likely meant something else to the assembly line workers since there was no difference between a fender for a car with a 230 inch 6 cylinder engine and a 425 horse 409 engine.

Bartman409SS

Well Known Member
My guess is that being a 409 car, this may have told the line workers to punch the fender to accept the 409 badges....of all possible numbers I find it far too much of a coincidence that the “409” is insignificant. It had to have some meaning. Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cool! Haven’t seen that before but I’ve never had an original W car. bet 100 bucks you’re right tho. Those bottom two holes will accept a 6 banger emblem, a 283 emblem, and 327 flags. The top two tho however, uncommon enough to be noted on the back of the fender:goodHey, don’t forget to punch these!

Bartman409SS

Well Known Member
I agree. Oddly enough I could see some writing on the fender when looking behind the heater box, but I couldn’t see the whole thing until I removed the fender. The car has never been apart before from what I could tell so it’s probably fairly rare to find marks such as these. It would be interesting to see if any other original 409 cars never been apart would have similar markings? There are other numbers such as “14” at the bottom corner of the same fender in the photo and numbers on the firewall”3,2” and others. Does anyone know if GM had build sheets stuffed under the dash like fords did?
thanks
Bart

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
:yup
Found a build sheet in a virgin 63 Impala I had, and one in a 63 Bel Air. Both under the rear seat trapped in the springs. Those early build sheets are kinda cryptic, I think they’re rpo codes only, so I couldn’t decipher much. Not like the later 60’s GM build sheets that spell out each option, show the dealer delivered to etc. The 63 sheets still have the full vin of the car printed on em tho like the later ones.

I’m not sure what a lot of those crayon marks are on firewalls and fenders to be honest...like that ‘14’ on the bottom, no clue.