63 impala with BBC 396 4 speed

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My 65 Chevelle has factory clutch. it was 6 cylinder, when I put the small block in I just had to install the pivot ball in the hole that was in the block.
When I installed the 502, I had to drill it. That being a over the counter engine it may not come with one.
I have a 66 396 block at the shop in town, if I brave the cold i take a look at it.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Well, wake up Greg. The big block needs some kind of pivot ball in the same location as the 409. The bell housing that comes on a 409 would work,or the 396. It wouldn't matter since it won't be used . You need to find a way to fab up a bracket for the pivot ball.Be real careful if you decide to drill and tap the 3/8" hole you mentioned to 7/16". I forgot that you were putting the 396 into an earlier car. This swap has been done many times before, it shouldn't be a problem. What exhaust are you using or building?

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Like some others i have done this swap .. i have never seen the pivot ball hole anything less than 1/2 x 13 ... The pivot balls are harder than chinese arithmetic , so there is not much chance of turning down the ball pivot and rethreading it ....:dunno2 The frt hole has to be used , only other car that i know of that used the frt hole was the 2nd and 3rd gen Corvette
There should be no reason that you couldn't drill the hole to proper decimal size w/o going any deeper and tap the 1/2 thread ..

Now the other problem that you will find is that you will need a Corvette left side manifold :wtf... the only one that will allow the cross shaft to be installed in that location ... Other option is a set of 58-64 headers ...GOOD LUCK !!!!

This can be a really cool conversion . :winner

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
BTW: what year is the block are you using ? I put a 502 in my biscayne years ago and did not have any issues w/ the clutch ball .... Would this be a GEN 5 or GEN 6 block ???