63 ss 409 convertible

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Anyone know or have photos of the correct colors for an original 1963 Van Nuys jack,base,and bumper tongue.How about the tire iron,hook,and wingnut.Mine looks like a dark gray but I beleive it has been painted.
Thanks
Rick
IMG_2575.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The jack base, jack hook, jacking mechanism are all painted semi gloss black.
the jack handle is also semi gloss black.
The jack post and tire hold down & hold down handle ( not in your picture) are zinc plated ( or you could paint them silver )
This from having at least 15 jacks over the years, all the black parts were black originally.
I have/had 3 California cars ( built in the Los Angeles GM plant) over the years

I actually remove the jacking mechanism from the jack post to paint it. Then replace it.
Paul

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Brian,I am very happy with how it turned out.Here is what I know,the tongue that locks the jacking mechanism to the bumper had Chevrolet 1964 stamped on it.Where the earlier ones did not.I am not sure about any other changes.Mr Reed or Paul would be the one to answer that question.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 & 63 jacks are the same.
1964 jacks have a slightly larger hook vertically ( the 64 hook is the width is the same as 62,63)
1961 jacks also are the same as 62,63,64 except they have a different shape hook - smaller hook ( same width) to fit the 61 bumper.
Paul