63 ss 409 convertible

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Question - Shouldn’t the nuts holding “pumpkin” have copper washers under them????

Fuzz

MAGA
Good question.There are not any washers on it now.I looked on the show cars site and didn’t see the bolts,nuts,and washers listed.I checked the Long Island corvette site and they have the bolts,nuts and a lock washer.They don’t mention whether it is a copper washer or not.I’m sure somebody here can answer this question.I have to get a tag for it as well.
I also need the axle vent,but the one listed is plastic.I can’t imagine they were plastic in 63,so the hunt is on.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Rick...do you have another frame to do the body work on?? The reason I ask.....that can get your frame and chassis filthy.
In that case...drape a big plastic sheet completely over your chassis down to the floor. Bolt your body on to body work and paint. That way your chassis will be completely clean. Will save millions of hours of detailing!!!!!

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1F88933E-58A4-46FA-8E4C-42D8D4778CB8.jpeg
I picked this up for a hundred on Craigslist.It works great and has been long overdue.18445E6A-4508-45CE-A6AD-61A32F525378.jpeg
I am planning on shooting a couple coats of clear onto the bolts and nuts.Whats everyone’s methods for keeping them from rusting again?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Does Eastwood still have the DIY zinc plating kit? I used one a long time ago on a motorcycle and it worked out well, kind of a one-and-done setup, but I had a Limey bike so there were not many options.

Reactions: Tim

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Put on two coats of ppg red oxide primer.
What a difference from what I started with.CBF97814-8381-4B19-970B-34571A3B3A21.jpeg
I am painting the firewall tomorrow.I have a few loose ends to tie up this week.Then the body should be back on the frame next weekend.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looking great Rick. My floors look like that when done.
just a note that I see that the convertible only brace on the bottom of the rockers is missing from the doors back.
removed with 1/4s work I assume
it should not hurt anything.
again great work, I looked back at pictures you posted.

I had my top rack completely disassembled to restore it.
if you need any additional convertible pictures I have lots of them.
There are convertible only drain holes in the under the top cylinder and support structure for the top rack- yours are probably still there if the floor is original( they drain the convertible top drain hoses.
the drain hole covers are sealed with strip caulk
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
One more question, did you replace the body mount bolt carriage nuts mounted inside some of the braces( not knowing which braces you did) forward of the rear tires - 12 total body mounts.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Paul,you are correct the rocker supports were cut to remove the quarters.I saved both pieces and planned on welding them back on once the the new quarters were welded in.When I had the front floor section replaced they found that the right inner rocker and support was rusted beyond repair.
I have new convertible rocker supports to weld on once the body is on the frame.All the structural work I have tried to do while the car is bolted to the frame.I do have the 12 body mounts.He was able to save the braces from the old floor and put fresh welds on the cage nuts.Amazingly,all the body mount bolts backed out with a 1/2” ratchet except the passenger side trunk box brace,which was rusted thru.I have rebuilt the original that I will weld in when the body is on the frame as well.I did see the drains for the top wells and can get those thru showcars.