63 SS horn ring removal

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Another problem...in my 63 ss trying to remove the horn ring. The manual shows two bolts, but I tried different sockets but none seem to hit I bolt. Hard to see inside but feels like a screw is in there (Phillips). Seems like it should be easy. I do not want to force or break anything. Help
Thanks

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The original mounting screws were 1/4 inch hex head size( socket). The alignment of your socket is parallel with the steering column shaft. You need a deep 1/4 inch or a 1/4 inch with a extension.
All this assumes that someone has not changed the original mounting screws. You can see the screw head( to check type) with a light.

When reinstalling you have to be careful to not cross thread the mounting screws. Start them buy hand with the 1/4 inch socket. The horn ring is pot metal and the original screws were coarse thread.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I got a little experience with a horn ring i bought off of e bay. Looked very nice no pit's and actually looked like new and got it very reasonable. Went to install it and the screw hole was stripped out on one side, bolt would not tighten. I first put jb weld in the hole and let it set up over night and went to install and that did not hold the screw ,it just peeled it out. I figured the person selling this knew that and why it was so cheap. I then took a machine screw and cut the head off ,did both side's and put jb weld in the holes and inserted the screw thread's in the mounting holes and let that set over night Left enough threads sticking out to be able to put a nut on it. So i went to hardware store and found a threaded coupler about a inch or so long that was shaped like several nuts on top of each other. I installed the horn ring and have maybe a 1/16 of the coupler sticking out from behind the steering spoke's. Since i did that i had to take this back off once to replace a defective new turn signal switch and it is much easier to remove horn ring because i can actually see the coupler . I don't care if it's not as original i can easily start the coupler on the thread's with my finger's or with standard depth socket and then tighten it down . This might help other's if you have stripped hole's.

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Well I managed to shine a light in the hole and look with a mirror..It was a normal screw used a small blade screw driver and remove them. A little hard to get at but, got them out. Removed the shaft through the engine compartment. Lucky the steering box was not yet connected to linkage as I had to remove it to get the shaft out. Probably will replace the lower bearing as it looks cruddy.