63 SS Revisited.....Project Z

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
What is that piston coated with?
Don,
Carl Mcquillen, who is assembling the motor, asked if I was interested in having these made to order pistons coated. It would not really be necessary for a street engine, but it would reduce friction and dissipate heat better than the aluminum. It wasn't that expensive to have the pistons coated, so I went with it!...I'll ask Carl the name of the coating.

I hope that this will be an interesting street Z11. ...:rub..I'm getting a little pumped!...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don,
Carl Mcquillen, who is assembling the motor, asked if I was interested in having these made to order pistons coated. It would not really be necessary for a street engine, but it would reduce friction and dissipate heat better than the aluminum. It wasn't that expensive to have the pistons coated, so I went with it!...I'll ask Carl the name of the coating.

I hope that this will be an interesting street Z11. ...:rub..I'm getting a little pumped!...
:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:drive:drive:drive:drive

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I want to thank Carl McQuillen for restoring what might have been an expensive wall hanger. I have read someplace that the original Z-11 water pump failed with some regularity...... Looks like the one I have to put on the Z build was approaching the fail zone, if not already there. According to Carl this was "no big deal" and he could most likely fix it. I am truly greatful that he is charged with this project of mine. What a REAL pleasure to work with!!!

IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Quick update.... It appears that the block does not have to be decked and is in an extremely well preserved original state and the heads are untouched originals as well. Original valves and springs and no porting. They do not have to be decked. Should be on the Dyno early Feb. :flag
:pepper:bacon:dance

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Where you able to buy any z 11 stuff out of Florida like a front end to go along with that motor? Wish I was in your shoes.