63 upper trailing arm reinforcement?

doc396

Well Known Member
did all 63 409 cars have a upper trailing arm reinforcement from the factory? i have seen a sales ad stateing late 63 thru 64. my body tag dates first week of july, i was thinking this should fall under "late 63"? what i can tell from what i have read on this site and other books the car seems real (engine/trans missing). it does not have a extra brace that i can see crawing under car with a flash light. is this the only differance in the frame? (2 door hardtop) thanks, doc396

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
reinforcement.

Doc, I don't think the 63s had the reinforcement, at least the ones I've seen. It was on the right side, only, and to the front of the mount if I remember right. I don't think you are asking about a left side upper arm. The reinforcement I think you are asking about was to keep the upper arm front attachment from ripping out of the frame. I have heard of this, but never seen it. Show Cars does sell a reinforcement to put there and welds to the frame to take care of this. In fact, they make the reinforcement for the left side, also.

Can't tell you for sure when they started to put this in.

doc396

Well Known Member
that is were i seen the ad, in showcars book. a friend of mine wanted the frame to put under a 59 elcamino, which i am not sure will even work? if it was something special i would try to get it to someone who needed a correct type/year frame for a restoration project. thanks for the reply, doc