64 Belair master Cylinder

zootzee

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I have a 64 Belair with a 6cyl., it has the single master cylinder with standard brakes. I would like to add a double master cylinder to it. Is there one that will fit that I can buy off the shelf from a place like Napa?
Thanks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
On my old 64....

Not certain but pretty sure I used a 1969 Nova master for 4 wheel drum/manual brakes. Got it from Napa. That was long ago. Just bring your old one with to compare the bolt up.

zootzee

Well Known Member
That would be great but they don't have one in stock. If they order it and it's wrong. They want a restock fee. That's why I was hoping someone knew what they used.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
zootzee: The master cylinder you need is a 1968 Chevelle. I hope you can see the pix. I will send the article, in a separate post.

Attachments

• Dual Master Cylinder.jpg
    Dual Master Cylinder.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Fittings.jpg
    Fittings.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Brake Lines.jpg
    Brake Lines.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 46

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I guess the article was, too large to send with the pictures.:dunno Sorry about the pictures being sideways.:doh

Attachments

• Article.jpg
    Article.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 55

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I replaced my 62 Impala master cyl. with a 1967 Impala Master cyl. (manual drum brake) from Napa. I found a 67 Chev. in the scrape yard and removed the distribution block with brake lite warning switch. The oddball fitting short brake lines go from the master to the dist. block. The lines after the block are regular brake lines.The front and rear brake systems need to be separated. Easy way is to run a second brake line to the pass. side following the existing line along the front crossmember. this new line will supply the rear wheels. Easy.

zootzee

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. I have learned that I can buy quite a bit of things for my chevy from places like Napa, Canadian tire and places like that.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
adapters for brakes

I got my adapters from Murry's Auto Parts. Same as O'rielly's I think.

zootzee

Well Known Member
:)

Living in Canada we don't have those store, though Napa and Parts source are pretty good.

I think I figured that the 1/4 line runs to the tee on the drivers side and the 3/16 lines ruin to the back brakes.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Personally, I'd skip using the adaptors. Instead, I'd cut the supplied flare nuts off the line, install (buy) new flare nuts sized for the line-size and M/C thread-size, and then reflare. Eliminates that extra joint that could leak, and makes for a cleaner looking installation.

zootzee

Well Known Member
Personally, I'd skip using the adaptors. Instead, I'd cut the supplied flare nuts off the line, install (buy) new flare nuts sized for the line-size and M/C thread-size, and then reflare. Eliminates that extra joint that could leak, and makes for a cleaner looking installation.

good thinkin