64 Chevy II bore to 4"

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Considering the amount of boring required ($) and the fact that a real early Nova 283 block is some what hard to find why ruin it? Just purchase a 4" block, relatively cheap still.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Have the block sonic tested.There was talk that starting in about 62,the 283's were cast on the 327 block.I've never had the opertunity to verify that,however.Your big issue with building a 301[302] today is going to be pistons.The only ones availeable are for 11-11 1/2 compression on pump gas,not a good plan unless you're going big cam[no low end],Aluminum heads,or iron heads with larger combustion chambers,such as available with their Dart Iron Eagle stuff.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was in high school there was a guy in his 20' s that had a 64 or 65 chevy 2 or nova that had a 283 punched out to 301.5 or at least that's what he told everyone and it had a tunnel ram, gear drive and a 4 speed but he would race us all and usually won as he beat the piss out of that thing and didn't care how high he revved it.

hamjet

Well Known Member
Early 327s had small journal blocks that the 283 crank would work in. just a slight boring to true up the cylinders and good to go..

doc396

Well Known Member
I parted out the 64 Chevy II the engine came from, so no chance of matching number car still around. The engine was/is stuck, was running when parked, so I figure it will need a fresh bore. I hope its just the rings froze up? I have been spraying WD 40 in it every once in a while for several years.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It'd be nothing short of a miracle if it didn't need boring when it was pulled from the car.Do you have the pan off to verify that it has a steel crank,because a lot of the 64 car 283's started using cast cranks about that time.

doc396

Well Known Member
I think it was in the book by the numbers I read that 283 in 64 with mini balancer was a steel crank? It has the small balancer.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I never did either,James,but all my 283 based engines were eariler than 63.None of my 327's had a cast crank in them,they were all small journal motors.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All small journal 327’s have forged cranks I have both cast and forged cranks in the 283 engines I have. I haven’t ever looked at the years or deck stamping to see what made the difference why some are cast and some forged though.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 721 casting is listed as being used for 283 and 327 versions. It was the 327 block in 65 and I believe it was also the block used in the 63 Nova fastbacks.