64 Coupe driver's window frames available?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Pulling the 64 doors apart. Driver's window frame chrome botton rail kind of rusty and the tabs that screw to regulator are brazed on! Would like to replace but not sure if they are available.

Good news was passenger quarter window would only roll down because rails dry so some lube and it is goo. Passenger vent window crank was working but the back and bottom of the gear box was in the door-but it is all intact must have been replaced! Driver's the back had popped off so an easy fix.

The small phillips screw at the back of the driver's vent frame was seized -man that is some hard steel had to use a Dremel cutoff wheel as drills were not making a dent!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The old car is actually pretty clean only rust is drivers floor. Windows have some crappy tint on them but I had found a previous owner that had bouth all the glass for it I picked up from him. I know replacing the glass in the chrome channels can be a challenge though.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So is an SS a hardtop or a coupe? Guessing maybe a hardtop? Going by GTO terms. No post GTO is a hardtop and post is a "sport coupe" so I would guess an SS is a hardtop.

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
That's why I was confused! Thanks GTO is either one or the other most were hardtops(no post).

Looks like Autocity has assembled frames, then the question clear glass or green original.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"Sport: always refers to no post cars.

You can buy just frames or with glass. The hardpart was the bottoms. They use to not have them but I think they make them now

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
And since GTO was just an option the first few years For Lemans and Tempest the only way to tell if it is "real" and not a clone is get the Pontiac Historic Services on the VIN. Jim Mattison has access to all the old order computer punch cards and can tell what options that VIN was ordered with.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Pulling the 64 doors apart. Driver's window frame chrome botton rail kind of rusty and the tabs that screw to regulator are brazed on! Would like to replace but not sure if they are available.

Good news was passenger quarter window would only roll down because rails dry so some lube and it is goo. Passenger vent window crank was working but the back and bottom of the gear box was in the door-but it is all intact must have been replaced! Driver's the back had popped off so an easy fix.

The small phillips screw at the back of the driver's vent frame was seized -man that is some hard steel had to use a Dremel cutoff wheel as drills were not making a dent!

Attached are pictures of new reproduction lower window channel for 62-64 2 door Hardtops and convertibles.
These new chrome channels come with the channel welded to the chrome that holds the glass.. Original lower glass frames were screwed to the channel allowing easy removal. YOU NEED TO REMOVE this new lower channel and convert it to the factory style channel attached with fine thread screws and nuts. IF NOT YOU WILL HAVE TO COMPLETELY REMOVE OR ALMOST COMPLETELY REMOVE THE WINDOW CRANK Mechinism to actually get the window attached to the controls ---all so its easy to reinstall or even remove the glass with the new channel.

For the vents controls you can rebuild the controls by replacing the rivets in holding the plates on the vent controls with screws (pictures attached...)
The two vents on the left are original -the one on the right has screws replacing the rivets. I tapped the drilled holes with fine thread screws
Paul
P1040218.jpgP1040219.jpgP1040220.jpgP1040224.jpgP1040229.jpgP1040231.jpgDSCN7732.JPG

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I saw your post before about the vent cranks and thanks I am going to do that on the one broken one. Good to know about the new wondow frames too.

Is tha a new lower channel or a really nice original?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The lower channel in the pictures is a new one. They come with the lower track spot welded to them.
i drill out the spot welds, remove the channel, drill new holes using a original removable mounting track as a pattern for the 2 new holes.
paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The original removeable lower tracks have countersunk holes to clear the plastic rollers on the window controls(so you need to reuse them for the windows.
You can move the holes slightly off center to make them work, depending on how much drilling off the spot welds is necessary to get
the spot welded on lower tracks

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Yeah I did both mine and took it to the glass shop in town to have them set the glass in ,I could see me really fu#$%ng that part up. Cost me $30 to do both windows they put it back in with urethane sealer,channels were chromed inside groove so the new gasket wouldn't bite on the channel. Channels came truck and car shop Orange County

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Having had at least 5 sets of side glass installed in rechromed original or chrome reproduction the correct way to do the frame is
with glass setting rubbers.
The key is the correct thicknesses of the setting rubber. I got the correct setting tape 'for side glass" from a glass installer (who learned from old time side glass and windshield installer that taught him)
I provided the setting tape to the glass installer. My old time glass installer taught me this. He even installed double setting tape thickness on my upper Impala door glass frame by the vents to keep the glass from pulling out of the upper chrome frames
Paul