64 Dash pads-all the same?

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I’ve got an OEM 64 black dash pad in storage for many years. As I remember, decent condition. Would part with it. If interested, I’ll get it out and check it over.

Fuzz

MAGA

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just dashes. I ordered one for my son's 64 Impala back in 1988 when he was in high school Sent in a sample of old cracked pad , they matched it and he still has car and pad has held up ,no problem. I remember it was a little over $300.00 at that time. We furnished the steel shell.Car is Daytona blue ,original with blue stock interior.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I do upholstery so I'm just going to stitch myself one. Not paying nearly $400 for a stupid dash pad.
I'm pretty sure they are more than that now. Probably double or more. His look's as factory.......... Stitch??????? Sure, ,go ahead and stitch one and show us the pictures of it when you have finished it . You might have just started your self a money making business for the guys that restore cars and want them as original.:laugh2

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm pretty sure they are more than that now. Probably double or more. His look's as factory.......... Stitch??????? Sure, ,go ahead and stitch one and show us the pictures of it when you have finished it . You might have just started your self a money making business for the guys that restore cars and want them as original.:laugh2
Actually there wouldn't need to be any physical stitching. There are several styles of material that will stretch and mold to create a solid seamless dash pad. People just buy caps most of the time. Nearly every car we get in at work has a cap over the dash pad. Its the cheap and easy way. Can't make a business with 10 customers a year. :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually there wouldn't need to be any physical stitching. There are several styles of material that will stretch and mold to create a solid seamless dash pad. People just buy caps most of the time. Nearly every car we get in at work has a cap over the dash pad. Its the cheap and easy way. Can't make a business with 10 customers a year. :D

I have never understood people who use those caps, but that is just me, they must have their reasons. Those dashes maybe only 10 a year, but that would only be one small part of your business, and we need honest, quality people that can and will do this type of work, so keep it in mind, you would be doing a lot of people a great service. Or just do it on the side from a workshop at home.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I was looking at just dashes for the 63, it $700 plus shipping both ways. I took it to a lady in Mtn. View who said if I could live with one line of stitching, she thought she could make it look pretty good. When I got it back I thought it was beautiful! The one line made it look like a leather pad, the way it was sewn. The color was perfect and she charged me $48!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I was looking at just dashes for the 63, it $700 plus shipping both ways. I took it to a lady in Mtn. View who said if I could live with one line of stitching, she thought she could make it look pretty good. When I got it back I thought it was beautiful! The one line made it look like a leather pad, the way it was sewn. The color was perfect and she charged me $48!!
Got any pictures Mearl?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Is it padded ??? Yes I could see stretching material over a steel shell to conform and glue . Padding underneath would be a different story. The just dashes are padded as original and no stiches and look as factory. They have a vacuum process that does this. $48.00 , wow I bet she still has some of that money ,minus the cover material ,padding maybe , and her time.. My car did not have a padded dash,so I did not have that expense. If it did I might have tried that cheap route too, but I am kind of picky that way since I would have probably not been happy with it every time I got in the car and looked at it and get pissed and tear it back out and doing it the way I wanted in the first place. Interesting Merle ,show us pictures.

Last edited:

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Sent mine to Al Knoch interiors in Canutillo,TX. exactly like original, sent him my dash and was returned in a couple weeks .

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I sent my 81 Trans Am to Just Dashes. They are slow. Work I would give an B+. They covered over numerous facorty holes I had to hunt for an open up. It used a plastic frame that had several areas that needed epoxying the cracks or holes that had stripped that they did not address. The ash tray face had to be sprayed to match. It had decent cad/Zn plating on the inside tray portionthey beed plasted off and left bare metal so now a source for rust source.

I had tried a dash cap before that, had an interior shop install it. They ddi not fill the underlying crack and cap cracked after 1 year.

The dash pad in my 64 is pretty rough-cracks look like a Level 8 Ricther scale earthquake went off!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Pictures?:bore3

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"I make great progress on my projects then it all comes to a halt like an old hit-and-mis engine. Might get this jet boat 454 rebuilt by christmas but we will see. " Jet boat question for you-why in the 70s did so many have Olds 455s in them vs BBCs?

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok, at great risk to life and limb, I climbed up a too short step ladder and leaped on to the 4 post lift where the 63 is. With one hand holding tightly onto thin air, I used the other one to pull the cover back enough to open the door and get in to take some pictures. I hope the seams show up well enough. As I said I'm very happy with the way it turned out, since it's not a true restoration anyway.dash pad 63 Impala 001.JPGdash pad 63 Impala 002.JPGdash pad 63 Impala 003.JPGdash pad 63 Impala 004.JPG

Attachments

• dash pad 63 Impala 001.JPG
    dash pad 63 Impala 001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2