64 dash tach light is dim

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
took my car out in the dark for the first time. I have all dash lights, including the dash mounted tach light. But, it is really dim. Are they all dim? Bulb is teeny. Maybe get a more powerful bulb of same size. It so dim one cannot see rpm. Anyone have an idea?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mine has always been kind of dim too. The bulb as you said is pretty small. I have been wondering if I could get it a little brighter too. Cant be too bright or it will light up your face ! Its almost time to get the car down off the lift so I may start experimenting.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I had a problem with the dash lights being dim on the 67 Camaro. I found a GM service bulletin that said to run a new ground wire, I did as it instructed and they got brighter.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I've been called a tail light before, not as bright as a head light.

My tach light is not bright either, but hay, whose watching the tach, I listen to mine.

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
Merl, like the grounding solution a lot. I put a bigger bulb in and that helped.....some. I am clueless electronically. Are you saying a dedicated ground to the tach? Or, somehow providing additional ground to all dash lights via one ground wire?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would try running a temporary jumper from the tach to a good ground under the dash to see if it makes a difference. Since the gauge cluster is fastened to the dash with screws and plastic inserts, it would not be grounded without a separate wire in the harness. The ground wire in the harness may not have a good enough connection.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Merl, like the grounding solution a lot. I put a bigger bulb in and that helped.....some. I am clueless electronically. Are you saying a dedicated ground to the tach? Or, somehow providing additional ground to all dash lights via one ground wire?
You just need to run a wire from the metal case of the instrument cluster to a screw or bolt somewhere on the main part of the dash panel. To test and see if it will help, you can touch a wire at the back of the cluster and the other end to any unpainted surface; that will supply a ground.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The tach bolts directly to the tach housing. The problem is the tach housing has a rubber gasket so the only "ground" it gets is thru the 3 screws that mounts it to the dash. Just try a ground wire from the back of the tach to the dash.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Most of the tachs that I have played with have four wires 1) power (red), 2) ground (black), 3) power to the internal bulb, and 4) tach signal. I believe the lamp and the tachometer circuit both depend on the ground (black) wire for ground. I believe the housing is electrically isolated from the internal circuitry and the black wire is the only dependable ground for the tach circuit and bulb.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Good info.................I may try a ground wire from myself to the earth.................never was too bright....:dunno2