64 drive shaft lengths

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yesterday I retrieved my old rear half shaft from storage to temporarily replace the slip unit I had installed years ago. Oddly the rear unit when installed appears to be about 1 to 1 1/2 inches too short placing the center bearing way to the rear where only one retainer bolt can be installed. Conversely the yoke is only in the Saginaw tranny about an 1 3/4 inches! The only drivelines I have ever had available are two units from two 64 Biscaynes so it is unlikely that I have a different unit. Time has eroded my memory on the details of when I had installed one of these on the project car which is not helping me at all to recall the particulars of these shafts.
So guys what is the story here. Is there a longer rear shaft for the stock 64 that I need? Perhaps I have the wrong front unit? I am miffed!

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, that's what I remember also but this rear half shaft places the center bearing way to the rear of the tunnel slot! What is up with that?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If I understand what you are saying you put the yoke on the wrong end. The bearing and yoke are on the front shaft.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To clarify a bit....the front shaft does have the center bearing at the rear of the shaft and when you install the front yoke into the tranny tail as it should be (with about 1 inch remaining outside the seal) the center bearing lines up correctly with the slot in the tunnel. However when I take the 64 back shaft and install it to the front shaft, then lock it into the rear end it pulls the entire drive shaft back to the point that the center bearing is behind the slot enough that one can only get one bolt into it. Obviously, it also pulls the front yoke out of the tranny leaving only about 1 1/2 " inserted in the tail shaft.
If my memory serves me right this whole driveline came out of this car when it was a 6 with a Alum. power glide. As Phil states all rear half shafts are the same length so
I have to wonder if there is a front half that would solve this bearing alignment issue?? Really want to fix this issue so I am open to suggestions. Perhaps I should just lengthen the rear shaft or would it be easier to just replace the whole unit with a newer stronger unit. I know many on here have done that but don't recall who they may have used for the replacement unit.
Open to suggestions on this for sure.............Walt

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Walt...do not do anything to your rear shaft. I'm assuming it's correct. Something has to be wrong with your front shaft or where the rear end housing is positioned. Maybe engine and trans not in the motor mounts correctly. Keep checking before you cut anything.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I agree with Phil. the front shaft does not affect the location of the bearing since it is always just ahead of the u joint. If you don't have the rear end supported into the correct ride position it will pull the drive shaft back. It will drop even farther if you don't have shocks on the car. If it isn't already jack up the rear end and put your jack stands under the rear axle tubes so it is positioned as it would be on the ground. I also leave the center bearing bolts loose until the car is on the ground and then tighten them to remove any stress on the center bearing.

Hope that helps

Bill

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
6 cyl fame mounts used with a v8 will move the engine forward about that much.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for all the input fellas! Really appreciate the thought process here as I am stumped on this one. The rear shaft is 33 1/2 center to center of the joint caps. It came out of this car with a PG tranny/6cyl I am sure. I had 3 64's and this one was the only one that was drivable. The others were parts cars with no engines or trannys and I do not believe drive lines either.
The rear is the original with all rebuilt factory suspension pieces hung in the same place as the factory did. Only mods made were for the bags in place of the coils. Running a Saginaw 4 speed and it's rear mount drops right in place on the cross member. Nothing looks out of place.
This weekend we had it up on the drive on rack so the weight of the car was on the suspension as it would be on the road. Don't see how the rear would be displaced that much to pull the drive line back that far. Am I missing something here?
Unfortunately, with the holiday and the impending 12 inches of snow coming tomorrow I will not get to use the rack (at a friend's shop) until the following weekend. At that time I will put it back up there and recheck the rear to see if I can determine anything. In the meantime if anyone comes up with a great idea let me know.

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING. Thanks for the help. Walt

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I found a 64 rear shaft on ebay. He says the measurements are 35" center to center.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The parts book says the overall length of the rear shaft is 36 1/2? If your measurement is correct you would be around 34 1/2 overall, I don't have a shaft at home to measure?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How come they are wet Dan?
Does it rain where you are?

You should move down the coast a bit coz "it never rains in california":D

steve

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, I am just baffled about this shaft and where it came from. Time is my enemy on this as this project was started ten years ago and has been dormant for at least a year. The mystery is the fact that it is painted the same color as the front shaft and is the only one I have hence my conclusion that it had to be the original unit. Anyhow, now I have no idea what this rear shaft is since it is shorter than the stock 64 based on the above comments. Next week I will get her up on the rack and take some measurements to see the effect on the front shaft if I install the stock length unit. Then I can go from there. Really appreciate all the input.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should be easy to find a stock rear shaft, I have 3 and Dan has 3, likely a ton of them in your area.

Don