64 Floor pans - replacement

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
The floor pans are shot in the Belair and I managed to crawl under the car and look at the braces that run side to side and what I can't see are the braces spot welded to the floor pans? Is there an easy way to replacing these? I planned on getting the pans in 2 pieces instead of one solid piece.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I did those in my Biscayne. You need to buy a spot weld cutter. I used a cut off wheel to cut around the braces first. I should have washed the car underneath also as there was oil all over the pans from a prior oil leak. Here's a few pics to give you a idea of what I was doing. I also replaced teh floor with 2 pcs.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 73

bobs409

Administrator
Depending on the condition of your car, you might have to replace some of the braces. I couldn't save any on my car but mine sat for a long time (while I was busy growing up) Rust starts in that area wherever 2 pieces of metal overlap each other.

As mentioned above, a spot weld cutter (Harbor freight has them for about $4.99 each) is used. You could also use a 1/4+ inch drill bit if you keep it sharp. From the top side, you'll see dimples in the floor where each spot weld is. You want to just drill through the floor sheetmetal and not through the brace itself.

There are ALOT of them so be prepared to work. LOL :D

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
Also for teh spot welds, you can grind them down so they let go. I did a few that way because I broke the spot weld cutter. But they are cheap to buy. I think I used 3 in total.

bobs409

Administrator
Just thought of something else, protect your headliner, dash, panels and all glass as hot sparks from grinders and welders will destroy these parts within the blink of an eye! I cover things with harbor freight welding blankets. (ok, this is starting to sound like a Harbor Freight commercial) :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another way to deal with spot welds is to use a plasma cutter. I tried this on the floor on my 67 Nova and it worked pretty well. Set the cutter on a low setting (you'll have to experiment with this) and scribe a circle around the spot weld. It should cut through only the top layer unless you go too slowly.
I got tired of breaking spot weld cutters and bits so decided to try this and it worked for me.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't think I personally would try that, I'm dangerous with a plasma cutter! :taunt

You can't beat those cheap spot weld cutters at H.F. They work really good. Since I got my drill bit sharpener, I find using a 1/4-5/16 drill bit even better. As long as it stays sharp, it works very well.

With all that said, I'm just glad my floor is DONE! That was a project for sure. I had to deal with bad inner/outer rockers too which added a lot of time and work.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The floor pans are shot in the Belair and I managed to crawl under the car and look at the braces that run side to side and what I can't see are the braces spot welded to the floor pans? Is there an easy way to replacing these? I planned on getting the pans in 2 pieces instead of one solid piece.
How rusty is the rest of the car?? If the floors and braces are rotten, the rockers and rear body mounts will need to be replaced too. I guess what I am getting at is this car already too far gone to be a practical project :dunno. Do you know if this is an original Texas car or an import? Leo

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
Thanks guys I need to pull up the carpet and look from the top.

How rusty is the rest of the car?? If the floors and braces are rotten, the rockers and rear body mounts will need to be replaced too. I guess what I am getting at is this car already too far gone to be a practical project :dunno. Do you know if this is an original Texas car or an import? Leo

From what I can tell it was originally from California, and has sat outside neglected for a good part of its life. I knew when I picked it up that it was going to be a long project. I was just surprised to find one with as many original parts and stock style suspension under it. As far as other rust, the bottom of both rocker panels have rust bubbles, bottom of the fenders are showing some and the trunk pan is ruuuusty. I'm in it for the long haul :D

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
I've heard from one other that that part is frequent to rot, but I'm unsure. The parts car that we cut the new section out of had dirt and leaves crammed around the window seal.

bobs409

Administrator
They can easily rot in places like that especially when they sit. A few of my cars had rot in the rear window channel that I had to weld in new metal.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Get a Craftsman spot weld cutter and bring it back when it breaks. Or, buy the insurance on the HF tool whey you first get it.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
On my old rusty floors I used a air chisel ( muffler cutter) peeled of fairly easy and ground off the spot weld dimples with a side grinder