64 SS 4-speed 327-250hp

zebco

Just purchased a white one with a red interior. :cool: Runs great but rides spongy. I know new shocks are in order, just wondering about springs and suspension bushings and such. Also I need brakes, it has drums all around, wondering about discs up front and adding a break booster for power brakes.
Also looking into wheels and looking for suggestions. It has the original 14" steel rims with hub caps. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, I'm kinda stoked:). I'm in north central NC, any of ya'll around here? Oh, it has 45,900 miles on it.
Thanks in advance.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Hey Zebco, would this '64 have a USA-64 license plate on it? I am very familiar with this car. Myself and a couple of other fellows were helping the former owner try to sell it. That's a neat ride, ain't it?! You have a great source for brakes near you in Mooresville, NC. Master Power Brakes can fix you up with whatever you need. Look them up on the internet. Jeremy

zebco

That's the one. Tell me what you know about the car. I'm off to get a bunch of brake parts in a few minutes, and some points.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Jeremy. Thanx for listing Master Power Brakes. I didn't know Carmine was still around. He was on Long Island many moons ago and he set me up with front disc power brakes for my '57 /348. Great guy !

:crazy:cheers

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
I know Carmine as well. He hooked me up with all I needed for my Impala SS. Zebco, that car was owned by the previous owner for about 18 years. Her dad bought it for her when she was 16 or 17. I put together that binder documenting the history of that car with the receipts and the original build sheet. As far as I can tell, every option on that car came on it originally. Jeremy

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
With this car's history...I would keep it all original. It would be worth more that way.

zebco

Turns out the 327-250 is a 1965 283 :cuss Someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look otherwise, and I was slack on my homework

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Good news is, if it runs good, drive it while you have the fun of putting together a "correct" 327. Should be a fun project.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dunno Was the 220 hp.283 available in the Impala in 1964? All that would be needed from appearence standpoint to make it look like a 250 hp 327 would be a valve cover change.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I believe the only 283, available in a 64 Impala, was a two barrel 195 HP.:)

S

Swiss Impala

'64 Engines (full size Chevrolets) which could be combined with 4-speed transmission, M20 and M21.

Attachments

• Top-15.jpg
    Top-15.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 54

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
According to that car's build sheet, it was originally a 250 horsepower 327.

Where are they finding these build sheets????????????? I found one in a '74 vette dash and a lot of corvettes have build sheets on top of the fuel tanks. I have had these old chevys down to nothing and never found one, nor have I ever seen one. :dunno Leo

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Leo, I don't know where this build sheet originated from, but when I was helping the former owner try and sell the car, it was in a folder with a lot of maintenance records and whatnot. I have heard of them being found on top of the gas tank, and even behind the backseat between the springs and foam. I'll see if I can locate the original and scan it. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here to have seen one of these rare gems!

zebco

After looking more closely at the build sheet, the engine code does say RB which I think relates to a 327-300 with 4 speed. I guess the engine was changed in the past. The engine in the car has TO324GF on the block pad. I've got a 327-300 already in the works.

Don't get me wrong, I like this car. Just a little disappointed when I checked the number on the engine. The seller did not mis-represent the car during the sale. Like I said, it definitely "appeared" as the original engine.

On a side note. I have put a 600 Holley and aluminum intake on it, and this 195 horse 283 will get rubber in 3 gears! Anybody wanna race?:cool:

zebco

Bubbletopman, got any idea as to where the original engine is located? Or does anyone have an RB stamped block? I found one with the R code.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
toy time.....

Welcome to the Zoo, Zebco.
What that ride needs is a 327 block with a 283 crank, a good set of 202 valve heads and good cam. Then you will be ready to go racing...
Good luck with your new toy... John :roll