'64 SS and '64 425hp-409 Sport Coupe

ARKAR

New guy here, posted these pics on another forum, but thought I'd post them here too. The white sport coupe was my Dad's, he bought it new in 1964, he ordered it with no external mirrors, 425hp-409 with a Muncie 4 speed. He bought the SS from my uncle to use it for extra body parts, I started working on it back in high school. Dropped a 402 into it, backed with a Muncie 4 speed. It was originally a 327/4 speed car. Parked it in my Grandmother's barn for about 10 years. I took it back to my Mom's last summer and recently started working on it again.

OK, I'll start off with more pictures of my '64 SS.
1964_SS_-_Front.jpg

1964_SS_-_Rear-Right.jpg

My '64 SS in my Grandmother's barn, pic taken about 2002:
1964-SS-smaller.jpg

The 402 big block Chevy in my '64 SS:
1964_Impala-402-smaller.jpg

My '64 as I'm pulling it out of the barn this past summer(lots of dust and dirt!):
1964_SS-outofbarn-smaller.jpg

My '64 SS on the trailer(yes it was really close to being too big for the trailer, lucky that I only had to take it 1/2 mile to my Mom's place):
1964_SS-trailered-smaller.jpg

Here's some pics of my Dad's car. It was a 1964 2 door Sport Coupe with a 425hp 409, muncie 4 speed car.
1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_Left_Front.jpg

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_LeftRear.jpg

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_Right_Rear.jpg

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_Interior.jpg

ARKAR

He dropped an intake valve in cylinder one and cracked the original block. So he bought a '63 four door sedan with a 340hp 409 and dropped that engine in his '64. Here's pics of that engine in his car:

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_340hp_Engine_-_left.jpg

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_340hp_Engine_-_right.jpg

But I do have the original block, which has been inspected by a friend of my Dad's and we were told it could be sleeved so that the original block could be put back into the car.

Here's pics of the 425hp intake and heads, which I have put into a tote with diesel. I've kept the intake out of the diesel. He pulled the rear carb off the original intake and put it on the 340hp motor that he put in his car, I think the carb had already been pulled of that 340hp motor when he bought the '63 sedan for the motor. Look closely, the tag is still on the carb-it's bent over.

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_425hp_-_heads_and_intake_w_carb.jpg

1964_Impala_Sport_Coupe_409_-_425hp_-_heads_intake_w_carb_valve_covers.jpg

Anybody worth their salt can recognize the difference in a 327 tach and 409 tach, right?

327 tach in my '64 SS:
1964_SS_-_327_tach.jpg

409 tach in Dad's '64 SC:
1964_SC_-_409_tach.jpg

ARKAR

Here's the '63 fourdoor sedan that Dad bought for the 340hp 409:
63_four_door_sedan_-_409.jpg

Here's the front fender with the emblem partially intact:
63_four_door_sedan_-_409_-_front_fender_w_emblem.jpg

And here's what was still in the trunk of the old '63 - the original 340hp exhaust manifolds.
63_four_door_sedan_intrunk_-_340hp-409_manifolds.jpg

ARKAR

Here's a shot with both mine and my Dad's car:
My_64SS_and_Dad_s_64_SC_409.jpg

Here's a few pics of the dual-quad breather from my Dad's car. When he swapped engines, he put this breather into storage in a little shed over at my Grandmother's. It's been over there since about 1970 or 1971, I think. When I moved my car back to Mom's I dug this breather out of storage, I wasn't leaving until I found it!! I looked and looked and finally found it behind a gas heater. I'll ask my Mom if she can remember when he swapped the engines. I was too young as I was born in 1970. I spent a little time with some polish with this thing. Needs a little more work, but it's the original.

409_-_2x4_breather.jpg

409_-_2x4_breather-bottom.jpg

409_-_2x4_breather-2.jpg

Here's some shots of the VIN tag and the engine tag. Shows the corresponding "QB" block with the car VIN tag.
Dad_s_1964_Impala_SC_VIN_tag-edited1.jpg

Dad_s_Original_425hp-409_block-numbers_pad-edited.jpg

The block had been sitting on a slab with a sheetmetal tub over it. Today with some help I moved it into a shed. I'm going to build a shed to put Dad's car in soon. I've GOT to get that car out of the weather. It had been in the barn for a long time, but we moved it out so I need to build another shed. Hope you all enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoy seeing everyone else posting them! I hope to stick around and share more about my cars. Thanks guys!!

Keith

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
Hey those pics look familiar...

Welcome Keith. You'll find everything you need to know here when playing with those engines.

Tom (think fan shrouds)

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keith,neat story!!!! .I enjoyed reading a little history of the cars.Sounds like your Dad was a real Chevy Guy in his day.I wish you all the luck in the world on getting both of those cars back to life again and on the road.I know they mean a lot to you. Enjoyed your pictures,keep us posted on your progress. John

ARKAR

Keith,neat story!!!! .I enjoyed reading a little history of the cars.Sounds like your Dad was a real Chevy Guy in his day.I wish you all the luck in the world on getting both of those cars back to life again and on the road.I know they mean a lot to you. Enjoyed your pictures,keep us posted on your progress. John

He was definately a Chevyman. He bought a brand-new '61 Impala with a 3x2 348 with a three speed, then Chevy came out with the 409. When Chevy put the 409 on the market, he wanted one bad. He kept the '61 for a few years and then he sold it and ordered the '64.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
Cool story! Please keep us updated with info and pics! Wish my family had a tradition like that. My grandparents bought new '58 and '60 Bel Airs (four doors), but they were 283 cars! And they're LONG gone.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ARKAR, Great story . I don't know why your dad saved that old block but thank goodness he did. By all means, repair the block. Congratulations on owning 2 great cars. Good luck.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice pictures, Keith.:clap Good luck restoring the cars. I'm sure that's what your Dad would have wanted.:clap Skip:)

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Kieth, Love that shot of you pulling that '09 out of the barn.:clap Dust is good. I'm wiping it of my '57 all the time. I think that I should get off my butt and start doing something about that dust so you guys don't look at a '57 with 1 headlamp forever. Again Kieth good luck with your project. We all like pictures. So please keep them coming. Ask questions at anytime:scratch:dunno somebody on this sight will have the answers.:cheers

ARKAR

Guys, once again, much thanks for the compliments!! My Dad kept his original block because he NEVER threw anything away and hardly EVER sold anything he ever bought. Me and my Mom were talking about this the other day. There's also some other cars that he bought for parts. I posted them on the other forum, but not here. There's a '60 Chevy four-door sedan with a 283 in it, a '62 four-door with no front cap or engine or tranny. Also a '64 four-door hardtop with no engine or tranny but had factory air. The '63 four-door in the pictures that had the 340 hp 409 had power brakes, power steering and factory a.c. I still have the compressor with the brackets for a 409. A guy that does restoration work tried like hell to buy the compressor brackets about 15 years ago, but we wouldn't sell them. I always had thought about putting the 340hp 409 in my SS and putting an add-on a.c. system. Dad wanted to restore his '64 really bad, but never got around to it. I'm going to try my darndest to get both cars done at some point in my life. Both might have to be put on hold for a little bit as I'm soon to go to court to purchase the land that is next to my Mom's place. That's a long story.... If we don't get it, then I'm going to start on the cars. Again, thanks for the compliments and here's a few more pictures.

Went up in the woods to check out something that I knew was in this old '62 4 door sedan:
1962_Impala_four_door_sedan.jpg

It turned out to be a 348 head from a '58 Chevy if the head numbers in the "Show Cars" catalog are correct:
1958_-_348_head_in_62.jpg

1960_Impala_four_door_sedan.jpg

1960_Impala_four_door_sedan_-_283_under_hood.jpg

1960_Impala_four_door_sedan_-_Fan_Shrouds_in_trunk.jpg

Set of 348 valve covers that my Dad came up with somewhere:
348_Valve_Covers.jpg

Firewall of '63 340hp 409
1963_Impala_340hp-409_firewall.jpg

'64 fourdoor hardtop:
1964_four-door_hardtop.jpg