64 steering column?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hope to convert my powerglide to a 4-speed over the winter and was wondering if anyone is repopping steering columns for the conversion? Or can the column shift steering column be retrofitted to work? What do I need to know? I can probably located one eventually on Ebay hey?

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just for kicks I took my 64 three spd column and converted it over to 4 spd. I took it all apart and retrofitted the unit over to resemble a floor shift column. Wasn't very difficult and came out looking nice and smooth. Took time but didn't cost much. Just my two cents for what it is worth.:brow

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's been a while since I did that but if my memory serves me right I totally disassembled the column and took digital pics of everything as I went. Cut the shifting tabs off the lower column and cut the shifting arm off the top piece and filled in the hole. Smoothed it over with bondo and primed it. Assembled the column and modified the end for a 605 power steering box. Looks good and is working ok. Probably forgot something but it was not a big job as I remember. Give it a try, what have you got to lose??:dunno:dunno:brow

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I did the same with a 63 3-speed column. When you cut off the stump for the shifter don't leave a hard edge around the hole. Use a rat tail file to round it out. Doing that you will avoid your filler shrinking into the hole and leaving an imprint in the top coat.

If you do happen to find a floor shift column make sure it's from a 1964. 63 and 64 columns are NOT the same. The hub diameter on the steering wheel is different. 63 is 4 inches and 64 is slightly less. Best of luck!

Ross

PS How did the kick panels and alt. brackets work out?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yep....

I just cut the nub off and filled, sanded and painted. Can't really tell it's not the floor shift column. Didn't even take it apart.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should not be a problem. I probably did more than was necessary. Cut the stub off and fill in the hole and you should be on your way.