64t-bolt

64t-bolt

New guy here from KC area.. I race nostalgia drags. Have an FE powered model A, a 1960 falcon gasser, and I’m starting on a 1964 Belair superstocker.. it was a 283/glide car and I have a 1964 409 truck motor I’m building. I’ll pair it with a built glide that I have.
8EE4849C-410C-4027-85A7-7F7C361F64CB.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
New guy here from KC area.. I race nostalgia drags. Have an FE powered model A, a 1960 falcon gasser, and I’m starting on a 1964 Belair superstocker.. it was a 283/glide car and I have a 1964 409 truck motor I’m building. I’ll pair it with a built glide that I have.
View attachment 87463
Not only did you pick the perfect year, make and model but its going to have a 409! If that not perfect, I don't know what is! Then of coarse you picked the best color ever! My wagon was a 283 powerglide, now its still a glide but getting a 700r4 built right now. Its currently running a 348 with a dual quad. I've only had the wagon a couple years now. My 2dr sedan I bought 25 years ago as a parts car, now its just going to race but its setting in the garage collecting dust currently not much different than you see me washing the front off a couple years back. Lets just say the 327, 3spd will get replaced by one of my 409 blocks and a 4spd. I'm up in DesMoines, give a buzz if you need anything for that Belair.
12.jpg
IMG_2387 (1).jpg

64t-bolt

Welcome to the Zoo!

Where in the KC area are you located? La Hot Rods (James), Tooth (John) and I are all located in mid-Missouri.

And of course our own Phil Reed allegedly hangs out in the KC area :).

Cheers! TomK

I’m in Lawrence.. maybe you guys can tell me who to have put my motor together. Day Automotive told me no, that Tony was getting out of the business.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the forum 64t-bolt, sounds like you have a pretty good project going on to keep you out of trouble this winter. There are a lot of us on this forum with projects and is the perfect place for info on X frame cars and W engines, good luck with your project and yes we do like pictures!!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m in Lawrence.. maybe you guys can tell me who to have put my motor together. Day Automotive told me no, that Tony was getting out of the business.
I highly recommend Mid-States Machine here in DesMoines. They do maybe half a dozen 348-409 engines a year. Stock and Stroked out. I had mine done there and I know they have 3 others they are currently building right now. (I was just in there last week to ask about one of the 409s) Its 3.5 hours from where you are. Some of the guys down that way may know someone closer but Mid-States knows these engines pretty well. 515-265-2669 is there number. Ask for John if you call. Tell him the crazy 348-409 guy Randy sent you. LOL! Trying to get my punch card filled so I can get a free Chassis Dyno run from him. LOL! :brow

64t-bolt

Thanks! Yes, I need machine work done, and the -333 heads done (pockets, screw in studs, bigger valves, etc... my plan is an honest 500-550 on e85. That way I can source fuel from the same place as i do for my gasser, my grand national, and my model A.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Try John at Morley Performance in Fenton Mo. 636 533 4777
Not sure how my other post on Fenton didn't go through. That is 4.5 hour drive if you pay tolls or 5 hours 15min if you don't. There has to be something closer in Missouri. Kansas City, Springfield, Columbia or Jefferson City? How is that part of the Mid-west a black hole for 348-409's?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not sure how my other post on Fenton didn't go through. That is 4.5 hour drive if you pay tolls or 5 hours 15min if you don't. There has to be something closer in Missouri. Kansas City, Springfield, Columbia or Jefferson City? How is that part of the Mid-west a black hole for 348-409's?
I'm not saying there is no other qualified shops closer but 5 or 6 hr drive isn't far to go for good reputable work on something thats as scarce as good W iron.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not saying there is no other qualified shops closer but 5 or 6 hr drive isn't far to go for good reputable work on something thats as scarce as good W iron.
I agree that you go where the experience is. In that case I highly recommend Mid-States Machine in Des Moines. Based on the work they have done for me and other friends of mine I won't take my W blocks anywhere else. If you end up coming up to DSM you will need to give me a buzz and I'll let you take a gander at my W motor collection and little shop. Just picked up another load a couple days ago.
20201011_193011.jpg