'65 10-Bolt Rear

62BillT

Well Known Member
I've got a 10-Bolt Rear I'm trying to Decode. Casting Number is 3833443, Axle Code DB 0415 which tells me it's a 3.36 assembled on April 15th, but I'm a little puzzled on the Date Code. I can read the D fine (April), looks like a 5 for the Day (which co-responds to the assembly Code), but the last number, very hard to read, looks like it could be a 4. My question is, could a '65 Rear be possibly assembled as early as April of '64?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A Chevelle rear could be a 64,but the 8.2 ten bolt rear wasn't available until the 65 model year.This production wasn't started until about July[parts] of 64.April would have been a little early.

62BillT

Well Known Member
This production wasn't started until about July[parts] of 64.April would have been a little early.

That's what I was thinking as well, but seeing it was a whole brand new design, I'm wondering if they could have started early. Wish that last number on the Date Code was a little more clear, lol.

62BillT

Well Known Member
By the way, this Rear has an "N" above the Casting Number. Seems like the A-Body, B-Body and the Chevy II (which ever Body type that is) all had the same Number, but a different Letter. That is if my quick research was accurate. Is the N correct for a B-Body?

chevyllme

I've got a 10-Bolt Rear I'm trying to Decode. Casting Number is 3833443, Axle Code DB 0415 which tells me it's a 3.36 assembled on April 15th, but I'm a little puzzled on the Date Code. I can read the D fine (April), looks like a 5 for the Day (which co-responds to the assembly Code), but the last number, very hard to read, looks like it could be a 4. My question is, could a '65 Rear be possibly assembled as early as April of '64?

chevyllme

I am struggling with identification of this 3833443N 10 bolt 8.2 rear end casting number. Was told it was from a 64 or 65 Chevy ll Nova. It fits quite well. Can't find anything that points to Nova however. It has c-clip axle retainers. Has 308 gears. Just want to be sure before I commit to purchase of new axle assy. and positraction unit. All indications are that axles are 29-5/8" long.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am struggling with identification of this 3833443N 10 bolt 8.2 rear end casting number. Was told it was from a 64 or 65 Chevy ll Nova. It fits quite well. Can't find anything that points to Nova however. It has c-clip axle retainers. Has 308 gears. Just want to be sure before I commit to purchase of new axle assy. and positraction unit. All indications are that axles are 29-5/8" long.

YOU SHOULD START A NEW THREAD, GETS CONFUSING TRYING TO ANSWER MULTIPLE QUESTIONS FROM MULTIPLE PEOPLE