65 409 engine for sale

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw on craigslist that someone in Richmond KY,near where i live has a 65 he says complete engine for sale.From the 2 pictures he has posted i see a rochester carb and so it would be a 340 horse if it is a car engine.I know nothing about it or the owner just saw it on craigslist.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That "340" engine appears to be a truck block,and that appears to be a truck a truck oil pan as well.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I got my magnifying glass and saw those notches in the block and that truck oil pan.Looks like a truck engine probable is a truck engine. 5k might be a little strong on that one?

I was thinking more like $2,000 for that one.....:hide and that's if I really wanted one and didn't have one already.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
inspect closely, many parts are covered, beware of fresh shiny paint....and as far as the other...high dollar a$$ories.

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I got a 348 with 60K miles about 7 months ago in Colorado for only $1100. I would keep looking based on his price.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With all the misinformation,and out right scams out there when it comes to these engines,it takes dedication,money,smarts,cautiousnes,and /or just plain hard headness [my case] to build one of these engines.Yes,One can build 2 small blocks of equal power for what one of these engines costs,but then all you have is another "Belly Button" engine.An LS swap would also be cheaper,but it's just not the same.In my case,when it comes to street/strip small blocks,been there,done that.My love for being different,being curious,and up to the challenge has me doing my current 380 cu.in.W engine project that when done will be daily driver reliable,reasonably fuel efficient.make about 430 hp/450 ft.lbs. of torque.and will cost me just over 8,000 dollars when all is said and done.If I hadden't had the break in,I would have come in about 2,500 cheaper.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My advise is to try and locate a low mileage 409 truck block. I found one out of a 1965 C-60 that had only 20,000 miles on it. The block was in great condition and we were able to reuse the crank and the oil pan in a quickie rebuild. It got a set of standard bore forged pistons on stock R&R'd rods and that stock crank, all of it properly balanced.

Most of the QA and QB blocks I come upon have been beaten on and generally there's a reason why they're not currently in operation :). But I have come upon several standard bore truck blocks in good low mileage condition. Lots of industrial/farm applications and truck operations didn't put a lot of strain in these particular engines. They are out there :).

TomK

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
409 truck blocks have a notch machined in the top of the cylinder to lower compression. The notch also unshrouds the exhaust valve. So it's a win / lose, but with the right pistons, you can have a great engine imo.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I find the 409 truck blocks to be more plentiful and generally in better condition. The high performance passenger car blocks/engines seem to be harder to locate and the ones I spot have been damaged at one time or need sleeves. Demand is different for both, as the passenger blocks seems to command higher prices. I've seen truck blocks from $500 to $1500 but a cleaned and magnafluxed truck block could go higher, especially if standard bore and in good condition. Passenger blocks are in demand by those of us who prefer "period correct" builds, so they go for a bit more depending on how they match up to the buyer's needs :).

We find these in barns and backyards here in the Midwest, but you take your chances with barn finds, there is usually a reason why they are not in operation when you examine them on site. I've brought several "barn finds" home and had them cleaned and crack checked only to find damages one can't easily see first hand :(. The fun part for me is the "chase", and with guys like Phil in the area, it's hard to scoop a great deal :). But they are out there, you just have to be willing to drop everything and go look, and be prepared for disappointment. I suspect in certain areas (east coast, West coast) there might exist a greater demand and lower supply. I plan to chase and buy every 348 and 409 block I can locate, assuming usable or rebuildable condition :).

Good luck!
TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom is right on the money on blocks. I have found a couple of virgin standard truck engines over the last few years, but I don't enjoy the chase as much as he does. I didn't overpay for them either, but there are a lot of guys out there who think any 409 is gold-plated and ask stupid prices. No point in negotiating with those types, especially when all you will most likely keep is the block and tin, maybe the crank and rods. The truck 348s can be a good option too, as they may be in equally good condition and can make a good street stroker.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
409 truck blocks have a notch machined in the top of the cylinder to lower compression. The notch also unshrouds the exhaust valve. So it's a win / lose, but with the right pistons, you can have a great engine imo.

With that notched block that lowers compression, are you saying that there are pistons out there that can compensate for that loss?? Would it be like a domed piston and what compression ratio could you hope to obtain?? Thanks, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,you can get probably 13-1,how much money do you want to spend? :pokeRealistly,an 11-1 piston for a car block will put you at about 10.5 in a truck block.The difference in the cost of the car vs truck block will,in my opinion for your intended build,far out weigh the power difference that the.5 will give you.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just can't believe the prices people are willing to pay for blocks period. I haven't seen a truck BLOCK for less than $1700 lately. It's crazy. In my area, everyone scours Craigslist and is ready and waiting with cash ready to scoop up a block no matter the price it seems. I've missed out on countless heads and blocks in the last 4-5 years only because I have a job and can't run out at 10am to pick something up and it seems 4pm is too late. The chase to me isnt chase really anymore. It's more like a battle against the hoarders. I was on a farm recently following up a 348 lead from Craigslist. I get there and of course, another guy beats me to it. The seller wants to start a bidding war on a 348 truck engine that looks like it's been sitting in a pond for 30 years. Bidding starts at $2200. Pass. The other guy can have it for that. I'm not rich. I'm a family man on a budget. I can't buy every block I come across just cuz. I can't afford to stock pile 15 blocks in a shed just so others can't have them. I have a few parts stashed away for my son for a future projects but nothing more.

I agree look for a 348 or 409 truck block. Save the passenger blocks for the guys with thousands to burn.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Exactly, Jason.:clap Eventually, when replacement blocks, become affordable, all the hoarders will be having Fire Sales.:doh Just like the 690 and 583 heads. Several years ago $ 2,000-$ 2,500.:bang Edelbrock, Bob Walla and others.:bow It doesn't make much sense, to buy a 50 year old block, for $3,000, and it needs, another couple grand for sleeves and machining.:eek1 I'd rather buy NEW anyway.:appl