65 block casting date?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
OK I was looking at my blocks and the JB casting number 3857656 has a Julian number of 308. That would be a Nov, 4th 1965. Seems late in model year, like the 66 models would have been out.

One set of 690s is a CFD and has Julian numbers of 270 adn 278 so probably close enough to be a set, but what year 62 or 63? Others have date codes K2561, L2161. They aren't a matched pair I know.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, The way I would interpret it , is the 656 would be late 64. The K and L would be early 62. Also I would think they are close enough to considered to be matching. (just lucky) Congratulations on sitting on a gold mine.:) :)

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And as far as the 270 and 278 CFD heads , I would think 63. Others with much more knowledge can be more exact.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The CFDs were a set from "Bill Speed and Sport" in Irving have guideplates welded on stud bosses but still have 3/8" studs. Got a Z-11 water pump in the deal , but the block had a cracked sleeve. Back in the 70s.

Late 64 makes more sense now that you mention it.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I don't see a listing here for a 63 block casting number, the 384442 I pulled out of a 63. Could it be a 63 and 64 casting?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, Maybe you left off a number. 422 is a 64 block Could have come out in late 63 maybe. All of these numbers are available by going to our home page and accessing the engine casting no. information.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, the 3830814 casting was used for '63. Some of the 3844422 blocks may have been used in late 63's also. I have a 64SS which was built in Oct. 63 with a 3844422 block. Maybe some 3844422 blocks were available in the late 63 model build time frame.

Poocho

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
It's the 422. It has a Julian # 73. I just didn't see the 814 casting listed, must have missed it.

I guess since it was around 1973 they could have put another motor in the 63 that was a 64 motor. It was my first experience with a "cutout" motor at a wrecking yard. The front clip was off and using the torch they had that motor out in just a few minutes! I just snagged the shortblock as it was a 340 HP and it was getting my 690s put on it. Two buddies and it in the back of a Vega wagon! Unfortunately it smoked really bad, like a mosquito fogger here in Houston.