65 C10 Restoration/409 Swap

409envy

Well Known Member
Just an update...
I just got through a pretty hectic month. The better half and myself recently moved from CT to Rhode Island! So that put a serious crimp in project time and funds. I did manage to get the cab on the chassis and get it rolling for the move. Hope to get settled in at the new place and continue working on the C10. Here are a couple pictures of the cab on the chassis with my freshly powder coated steelies and bias-ply's!
2012-08-23204557.jpg

2012-08-23204538.jpg

2012-08-23225132.jpg

409envy

Well Known Member
Nice project. Its gonna be real looker when you are finished. Good luck in the future.

Thanks!

I'm thankful I was able to find a place with a garage that I could actually use to work on the projects. I almost had to get rid of the truck and my nova but we found a nice house just in time.

409envy

Well Known Member
Purchased an engine for the C10... unfortunately its not the fire breathing 425/409 I eventually want to install...sigh

its a low compression 348 out of a 1960 town water truck. I'm hoping its not the garbage double notch block!

It spins, has good compression and looks pretty. It should get the truck on the road when Im ready. That way I can drive it while I save up for a real 409.
2012-10-20_15-06-20_241.jpg

61 tripps

Well Known Member
I can relate to taking your time on the build. It took 9 years for my 66 GTO. It worked out well financially and came out great. The fun is in the chase. Looks like your a real perfectionist.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks better every time you post. That 348 will do the job just fine. It will save you many dollars too.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
409envy I have a friend here in Freeport Il that did exactly what you are doing. His is a 425hp/409 in a 65 and drives the snot out of it, I can put you in touch with him if you want. I will look here for some pictures of his truck, it is bright red and was in the top 10 on the power tour some years ago, made the cover of hot rod magazine along with a little 32 roadster he towed behind.
Big Jim

409envy

Well Known Member
Big Jim!
That would be great if you could put me in touch with him! I hope to build a 425/409 eventually and drive the snot out of it as well! I have quite the catalog of Hot Rod mags so I will look for his truck on the cover. Any idea what year it was that he was on the cover?

409envy

Well Known Member
Sorry no updates yet. The truck is on the back burner since I decided to build a motor for my Nova project. I am using the 348 that was bound for the truck as a mock up motor for building headers and fabricating an oil pan. I have not given up on the truck just have my priorities elsewhere.