65 C10 Restoration/409 Swap

409envy

Well Known Member
So I joined this forum to try and gain some better understanding of "W" motors in order to make things easier on my self when it comes time to swap a 409 into my truck.

Just to give you some history on the truck. I picked it up about 3 years ago at an auction lot. The guy had just cleaned out an estate. It appears to have been used as a work truck most of its life and from the paint all over the bed and tail gate I would say the guy was a handyman or painter. It's a pretty bare bones C10 Fleetside long wheel base. Two wheel drive with a 235 straight six and a 3 on the column.

My plan was initially to just fix it up as I drove it but after realizing that half the cab was missing due to rust I changed my mind. So now 3 years later the truck is starting to come back together. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of whats been done so far. Just a warning, I have very limited funds so this is going to be a LONG restoration but hopefully patience will pay off and I will have something unique.

DSC01624.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

Started on tear down
DSC02011.jpg

DSC02013.jpg

Last edited:

409envy

Well Known Member
More pictures, New cab, frame ready to go to media blaster, suspension parts ready for blasting as well.
evanspics071.jpg

evanspics074.jpg

evanspics077.jpg

evanspics112.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a 62 that a guy put a 409/409 in. Used the hi-po manifolds and made up lead pipes for dual exhaust. I kept the 09 and use it in the car when the good motor needs a rest(or bearings). Ran really good in the truck. Was a smooth riding truck also. Looks like you have a lot of the hard stuff done. Good job!

bobs409

Administrator
Great project! :clap Reminds me of what I'm going through with my wrecker resto. The frame and cab (at least for me) is the biggest job. I'm inching toward the end of the frame work now and couldn't be happier about that. :D Looks like you found a nice cab there so that will save you alot of work.

One thing I learned about doing a full resto, it's alot like eating an elephant. You just take it one bite at a time. :crazy

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
I like the way your approching it, maintaining order and a photo history. A lot of hard work and accomplisments there :beer Noticed you cleaned up all 4 brake backing plates, have you considered using disc brakes? Keep-up the good work but have fun with it too :clap

Rick

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks great....:clap Keep the progress pics coming....:deal I don't know what you are planning for ride hight but if you may want to consider running a hole saw through the main crossmember for exhuast. Tucks the exhuast up for a nice clean look...:thinkHere is a pic of mine before exhuast. rearsuspention.jpg

409envy

Well Known Member
Looks great....:clap Keep the progress pics coming....:deal I don't know what you are planning for ride hight but if you may want to consider running a hole saw through the main crossmember for exhuast. Tucks the exhuast up for a nice clean look...:thinkHere is a pic of mine before exhuast. View attachment 17308

Tripower,
Im assuming you have a truck of similar vintage to mine. Did you perform a "W" swap into you truck or are you just running the original engine. If you have pictures or any tips on how to swap these engines into these trucks I would be extremely grateful if you shared...
Oh, and in response to your question about ride height, I will be lowering the truck, probably 2" front and rear, nothing too extreme... I will be mocking up the exhaust before I put the cab and bed back on so if need be I will clearance the cross-member to make things fit. Although I am planning on running a very abrupt exhaust... I like my cars loud!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tripower,
Im assuming you have a truck of similar vintage to mine. Did you perform a "W" swap into you truck or are you just running the original engine. If you have pictures or any tips on how to swap these engines into these trucks I would be extremely grateful if you shared...
Oh, and in response to your question about ride height, I will be lowering the truck, probably 2" front and rear, nothing too extreme... I will be mocking up the exhaust before I put the cab and bed back on so if need be I will clearance the cross-member to make things fit. Although I am planning on running a very abrupt exhaust... I like my cars loud!
My truck is a 63. I did not do the 409 swap but, I believe it is no differnt than swaping in a BBC. The firewall had to be massaged on the passenger side for valve cover clearence. I also used the complete front crossmember with disc brakes and power steering from a 73 C-10. Its a bolt in. I also used the motor mount perches from the 73' as they are much easier to find and make a much better fit for running headers. I did have to shorten the hight on the perches as the 73'-87' frames are taller. No bit deal.
502passenger side.jpgDrivers Headers.jpgPassenger Headers.jpg

409envy

Well Known Member
Some small progress.
I was able to paint the cross-sills and mock up the spindle assemblies, just test fitting stuff at this point but some progress is better than none!
2011-10-09_09-41-06_539.jpg

2011-10-09_09-40-22_853.jpg

2011-10-09_09-40-13_888.jpg

2011-10-09_09-40-07_945.jpg

2011-10-09_09-39-56_38.jpg

2011-10-09_09-39-44_539.jpg

2011-10-09_09-39-20_459.jpg

2011-11-13_11-55-33_39.jpg

2011-11-13_11-55-41_23.jpg

2011-11-13_11-56-40_13.jpg

2011-11-13_11-56-58_747.jpg

2011-11-13_11-57-09_500.jpg