65 Chevy Spartan 70 fire truck

bobs409

Administrator
What size engine is most likely to be in one of these? I think it's a 65. Can't find any pictures on google to verify it though.

Found one at our local EZ pull but I couldn't see the engine. Tried to tip the cab forward but it only went about an inch and stopped. :eek:

I'm thinking probably a 348?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What size engine is most likely to be in one of these? I think it's a 65. Can't find any pictures on google to verify it though.

Found one at our local EZ pull but I couldn't see the engine. Tried to tip the cab forward but it only went about an inch and stopped. :eek:

I'm thinking probably a 348?

Look for the tag in the cab. It should list the engine. Probably 348, but could be 409. I think the hp for 348 was 225 or 230....I would have to look it up to be sure.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Dont be too surprised if you find a small block in it !!
Ken..........................:dunno

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Dont be too surprised if you find a small block in it !!
Ken..........................:dunno

in the hundred or so cab-overs i have found while junkyard hopping, i have NEVER seen one with a W engine in it. and i started 30 years ago. good luck.

bobs409

Administrator
Ok Bob, you talked me out of making a special trip. I'll be going there Monday anyway, we'll let it up to fate to decide. :deal

I've never found a "W" in a junkyard yet but I got a late start too. Wasn't junkyarding in the 70's when they could be found, I was still riding my bicycle then. :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
in the hundred or so cab-overs i have found while junkyard hopping, i have NEVER seen one with a W engine in it. and i started 30 years ago. good luck.
I know where there is one, 60 series, so probably a 348. I tried to buy the truck 15-20 years ago, he did not return my calls, so it is still setting in the same place. I am going to Lewistown for the race track Awards Banquet Sat night. I will go in early and try to get some photos.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Cabover

The first 409 I ever bought came out of a cabover wheat truck in Great Falls. The fan was mounted on the end of the crankshaft.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ok Bob, you talked me out of making a special trip. I'll be going there Monday anyway, we'll let it up to fate to decide. :deal

I've never found a "W" in a junkyard yet but I got a late start too. Wasn't junkyarding in the 70's when they could be found, I was still riding my bicycle then. :D

Bob:..... Let us know what you find in that truck. OK?
Ken .............................:deal

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it's still there. I tried everything to get a glimps at that motor but can't do it. :bang They have the truck boxed in pretty good and now the cab is locked down. I coudn't find the release lever either. :dunno

I got inside to look for an access panel in hopes of getting a look in there but the only one it has goes to the top of the radiator.

I did find an options list inside the glove compartment but for the engine is has V6401M. Can anyone decode this? I know some older trucks used these type of strange option codes, my 69 stepside is one of them.

Maybe next time they'll have it more accessible and I can get to it.

I did get one of the arrow shaped tail lights as a momento. It's dated 53 and lights up in the shape of an arrow. Could only get the one, the other was melted. :eek: Must have been too close to a fire?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Did you get any photos Bob?

I got a couple this weekend of the farm truck. I thought it was a 60 series, but it is an 80. I could not see the castiing no. (forgot my byfocals:bang) so I took a photo of the number, but the camera focused on a brace too close. Since it is an 80 series truck, I have to go back and have a better look at that casting number. Might be a 409? I did not lift the cab, just took a photo from between box and cab.

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 84

bobs409

Administrator
No pics, I don't like taking my camera to the junkyard anymore since the first one got run over by a truck! :eek: :cry

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, it's still there. I tried everything to get a glimps at that motor but can't do it. :bang They have the truck boxed in pretty good and now the cab is locked down. I coudn't find the release lever either. :dunno

I got inside to look for an access panel in hopes of getting a look in there but the only one it has goes to the top of the radiator.

I did find an options list inside the glove compartment but for the engine is has V6401M. Can anyone decode this? I know some older trucks used these type of strange option codes, my 69 stepside is one of them.

Maybe next time they'll have it more accessible and I can get to it.

I did get one of the arrow shaped tail lights as a momento. It's dated 53 and lights up in the shape of an arrow. Could only get the one, the other was melted. :eek: Must have been too close to a fire?
Bob,
Are you sure that is a 65 Chevy and not a 66 GMC? The 401M engine was a big V-6 "Magnum" with 401 (400.9) cubic inches, 4.87 bore x 3.58 stroke and 7.5 compression.:cool:

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/401v6.htm
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/EngineData.htm

"Magnum Engines

"Magnum" refers to 1966 and up 351M, 401M and 478M V6's with the large port heads.
The 351E V6 which was available from 1966 to 1968 in 1/2 to 1 ton trucks is essentially
a Magnum engine, as it has the big port heads and bigger manifolds. If you ever run
into some old magazine adds from 1966 it mentions the 351 Magnum engine available as
a high performance option. The 351's were available both as Magnums and small port
head 351C engines up to 1972. In 1973 the 351 was stroked to a 379, but never got the
Magnum heads and retained the anemic little WW2 carburetor. Though GMC never designated
the 432 with an "M" it was a Magnum engine. The intake manifold design was different on
the magnum engines to give more power and better torque by adding an internal baffle
that acts to develop better fuel distribution and also pulses that help to charge the
cylinders better. The exhaust manifolds have bigger and smoother passages and are
not restricted at the collector. They are found in 4000 and up series trucks. Magnum
Head V6's have much higher flowing exhaust manifolds due to the larger ports and passages
and the collector is considerably larger like about 3 inches in diameter. The 351E is in
all reality a pickup truck version of the 351M engine and has large ports and passages
in the manifold, but it has the bottleneck at the collector just like all the 305A, D
and E V6 manifolds. These manifolds are identified by their I-beam shape. 351M, 401M,
432 and 478M manifolds have even bigger passages but won't match up to smaller port heads
on the 305 V6 but will on the 351E which has the Magnum Heads. The 351C and 379 heads are
basically the same small port heads as the 305-A, B, D and E engines. 1960-65 401 and 478
also have small port heads but larger valves. 1966 to 1974 351E, 351M, 401M, 432 and 478M
share the larger port "Magnum" heads, that's what the "M" designation stands for. The bigger
"M" heads will bolt to a 305 if you're into increasing the performance of your engine."

bobs409

Administrator
Definetly a Chevy. Had a large Chevrolet emblem on the front. (until someone else nabbed it!) :evil

It should be a '65, I compared it to the 65 truck brochure on this site and it looked identical. (parking lights are rectangular and run verticle) Did '66 look the same?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think 66 would look the same. Your description sounds like my 68. Not many yearly changes in those old cabovers.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Definetly a Chevy. Had a large Chevrolet emblem on the front. (until someone else nabbed it!) :evil

It should be a '65, I compared it to the 65 truck brochure on this site and it looked identical. (parking lights are rectangular and run verticle) Did '66 look the same?
Bob,
My 1966 dated big chevy truck parts catalog doesn't show a 70 Series truck, only 50, 60, and 80 Series. It also shows engine parts for the big V-6 engines only in the 351 and 478 CI versions for 65and 66. Other engines were available for specially constructed vehicles (like fire trucks and others) through the Central Office (COPO). I suspect the 70 Series truck you have falls under that category and the engine you found listed on the tag on the glove box lid is one of those special order types which would explain why a GMC 401 V-6 was installed in a Chevy. Again, the metal Identification Tag in the cab should verify it.

bobs409

Administrator
There was no metal tag that I could find. I searched all over. I only found the VIN tag and a GVW tag in the door jam. :dunno