65 Chevy Spartan 70 fire truck

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Was that option list in the glove box from GM? Or from the fire equipment body builder? I wondered if the V6 was powering the pump.
A few years ago our dept looked at a C70, 427 under the hood, 454 driving the pump.

bobs409

Administrator
I'll have to check the tag and the option list again to be certain. I think the glove option list was GM. I did look at the GVW tag but don't recall seeing an engine size there. :? I wish they would move it some so I could lift the cab! :bang

This isn't a real long (normal size) firetruck so I don't think it would have a V8 for the pump. But I could be wrong. ??

BTW, where is the release handle anyway? :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This is the rear of my 68 cab. I think the fire truck should be similar. Unlock from passenger side.
Before I lift the cab, I have to engage the e-brake in the cab.
The first photo, lever is in locked position.
2 nd photo, unlocked
3rd photo, pull rod for the safety latch and lift cab.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 24

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob,
My 1966 dated big chevy truck parts catalog doesn't show a 70 Series truck, only 50, 60, and 80 Series.
Maybe the Spartan 70 is the emblem from the fire equipment body manufacturer rather than Chevy:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
I think the Spartan emblem was seperate. I think that was up near the wing window and the 70 was back further. I'll check on Monday.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazy Ok Bob,if that truck indeed has a 401m in it dibs on the intake,double groove pulleys,oil filter housing,if it has a spin on type filter,possibly the whole engine if it isnt stuck.Warning ,this engine weighs 850-900 lbs:eek:Makes your big block seem like a paper weight:roll

bobs409

Administrator
Ok Don, just waiting for them to move it a little so I can flip the cab. :bang (It's boxed in right now)

P.S. that 65 GMC we talked about never came back yet. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
It's finally down in the yard. I still can't get the dang cab to tip forward. I think it's jammed or ??? :bang I was able to move it JUST enough to verify it is a V6. I could see the valve covers. That's about all I can say. Hopefully someone will get it lifted for my next week trip.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cool:Oh goodie,GMC parts.For what it's worth,most of the large series trucks werec built on the same assembly lines by GMC ,so the v6's were available in the Chevrolet trucks :deal The two lines werent merged untill 67-68.

bobs409

Administrator
I would have prefered a 409 myself. :D

P.S. I still have your parts list Don. Hopefully I can get to this engine sometime to check for them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek: I'd have gladly settled for a 348 too:pray but I may be able to hop up the 305 in my truck.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
:crazy Ok Bob,if that truck indeed has a 401m in it dibs on the intake,double groove pulleys,oil filter housing,if it has a spin on type filter,possibly the whole engine if it isnt stuck.Warning ,this engine weighs 850-900 lbs:eek:Makes your big block seem like a paper weight:roll

That truck finally flipped it lid! :D And she's got a 401M! That's the one you wanted Don. Still complete. I am able to turn the fan (crank) so it's not stuck. Let me know if you still want anything from it.

I think it's a 1973. Found an owners manual inside that I think goes to it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:D 1974was the last year for these things,how many miles on it? Does it have an hour meter on it.These firetrucks were usually extremely well maintained,and didnt see many miles on them,might still run,if they dont want an arm and a leg for it,I'll see if I can help make a sale for you. Don