65 impala ss trans

Harry Vanderveen

going to put a powerglide back in for accuracy sake, how many different versions of this trans for the ss model before I go looking for one. thanks for your help

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The basic design for the Power Glide is the same for all 65 model cars and trucks.That being said,there's at least 3 different types,6 cylinder,small v8,and large v8.If you're going "numbers correct",good luck finding a 65 409 spec transmission.The last production year for the Glide was 1973.There wasn't one specificly built for any trim level ,such as an SS,it depended on the engine choice.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Would a '65 console mounted shifter be mounted to the transmission tailshaft housing or the floor? If it mounted to the transmission, you would need the correct tailshaft housing.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I put a 1965 SS shifter in my '57 "JOINT VENTURE "a while back I was able to mount it to the floor PictureKodak easy share photos 925.jpg am using a TH330 from a 78 Malabu
I am also using a 1966 Chevelle console from my wifes SS convert.
:D:D:cool::cool:
:crazy:cheers

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
65 shifters mount to the floor and use a rod and special bracket that mounts on powerglide shift mechanisms and I believe they are repoped now.

Harry Vanderveen

Thanks for the info, Mr jacks because I am unfamiliar with these trans what number should I be looking for and where on the housing ? It will be married to a 65 409 block. thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I have no idea about the numbers,but get one from behind a v8.Have it rebuilt for street/strip with hd bands and clutches,a shift kit,and about 2,000 rpm stall convertor.The 62 thru mid 63 had the rear pump,mid 63 thru 73 did not.A PG from behind a smallblock is going to be the easiest to find.Many of these what used to be "throw away" transmissions have found their way into drag cars,making core kinda scarce as well as often pricey.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So where would you find a place that has numbers on a powerglide? I was hoping to ID mine without pulling it apart to see how many clutches and steels there are, not that would help if someone like me modified the stock unit. I know the cast and aluminum, the holes for the air cooled six's etc. I think I may have a 65 SS V8 PG sitting in my garage. It looks correct from what I remember, however without the numbers I cannot be sure.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have no idea about the numbers,but get one from behind a v8.Have it rebuilt for street/strip with hd bands and clutches,a shift kit,and about 2,000 rpm stall convertor.The 62 thru mid 63 had the rear pump,mid 63 thru 73 did not.A PG from behind a smallblock is going to be the easiest to find.Many of these what used to be "throw away" transmissions have found their way into drag cars,making core kinda scarce as well as often pricey.
Especially aluminum PG. Cast irons, probably easier to come by, but who will pay the shipping?

Harry Vanderveen

located a 2 speed from a 69 396 car apparently? will it bolt up to my 409 ok and is there a shaft size(is this important) that would verify it being a BB trans?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Here is a rebuilt PG for $400 in IL. They are all over Craigslist.

rockford.craigslist.org/pts/d/stock-rebuilt-aluminum-gm/6407940623.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The bolt patterns and the rear shaft sizes for Powerglides were the same,Harry.You'd need to have access to a book on these transmissions,or Colvins book of numbers to verify whether or not it came behind a big block.Another thing to watch out for is the tail shaft length.Some of the later big cars,as well as pck up trucks used a longer tail shaft.I believe hat your 65 car took the more or less standard short tail shaft.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
located a 2 speed from a 69 396 car apparently? will it bolt up to my 409 ok and is there a shaft size(is this important) that would verify it being a BB trans?
Just wondering, but could you actually get a powerglide behind a BB 396?? I would think by '69, a TH350 or TH400 would have been the offering, not a powerglide. Feel free to correct me, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Powerglide was the "base" automatic transmission in those years,Carmine.1969 was the first year for the TH-350,and it was limited to small blocks.I would think that the Powerglide would likely be found behind a the 265 horse 396 2 bbl.motor that was made in 69,but don't know about the 325 horse engines.

Last edited:

blkss64

Well Known Member
As a tech in my younger years, our shop regularly worked on a 1966 Impala wagon that had a 325 horse , 396 with a powerglide. This was back in the 70's. Yes , they made them.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was a teenager I had a numbers match 65 as 396 325 hp with a glide and a 65 ss 396 325 hp ragtop with a turbo 400 factory but got married to my first wife and sold both!!! Ugh