65 ps return hose fitting

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok guys I'm trying to hook up my factory power steering hoses to the actual steering box but when I screw the return hose down all the way the thread bottoms out before the hose seats on the flare to keep the hose tight so it swivels and I know it will leak. Upon further investigation I see that there is supposed to be a flare type fitting in the steering box that fits up against the hose end but my flare piece in the steering box is broken out so now what do I do other than trying to find a new steering box? I'm about to set this thing on fire!! HELP

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Are you using the original steering box or a replacement? If it is a replacement or up graded box, it may take the hose fitting that uses an o-ring(newer style). If it is the original box, I'm not familiar with a removable flare seat. I'm sure someone more familiar with '65s will be able to help.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'll look when I get home but I think the pressure side is a flare fitting and return side hose just pushes ove a fitting or tube out of the box

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
checked my power steering box and the return side has a flared tube about 4 inches long that has a return hose that pushes over tube and has a hose clamp

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes I have that tube but the threads from the end of that tube bottom out before tube is tight because there I believe is supposed to be like a male flare that is in the steering box itself which mates with the female side of the hose tube, my male side in the box is gone and think I need a new steering box.