66 Impala front pillar chrome???

bobs409

Administrator
A 66 Impala 2 door hardtop came into a local yard that has a stainless molding that covers the pillar post between the side windshield molding and the drip rail on both sides. I've never seen this before. ?? Looks stock, in fact I tried getting one out and it's crimped around the drip molding area and glued in so good I couldn't budge it.

Is this something rare or do I need to get out more often? :dunno

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What condition is the car in Bob??
Non of the 66 models that came here (export models) had this
Have you got any pics?

Steve

bobs409

Administrator
It was a fixable car but now that it's in the junkyard, it's history! I don't have any pics, last time I took my camera to a junkyard, it got run over by a truck! :angry

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It was a fixable car but now that it's in the junkyard, it's history! I don't have any pics, last time I took my camera to a junkyard, it got run over by a truck! :angry

Arnt you lucky that you were not holding onto the camera at the time:eek1

Do the titles get destroyed when they hit the junk yard??

Steve

bobs409

Administrator
Most if not all will send the titles in with SCRAP written on them shortly after getting them. It is possible to get a junk certificate but the vehicle is never worth anything with one of those, most will walk run away if you try to sell a car with one as it kills resale value. That is if the junkyard is willing to sell and in most cases, they don't. Especially where this one is, an EZ pull yard. They don't bother with selling them whole, they make more money parting them.

62BillT

Well Known Member
The '66 Caprice has that type of Chrome Cover on it. If the car is definitely not a Caprice, someone might have put one on their Impala.

If it is really Glued in as mentioned, that would be another tell-tale sign that it is probably not original. The ones on my '66 Caprice parts car were taken out pretty easy, the best I can remember.

Bill

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Bill. I was back at that yard and finally got them out. Not really glued in like I thought, just stuck in with the windshield gook. Only bummer is some goof ball (not me-lol) was prying on one so will need a bit of "massaging".

Car is definitely an Impala (fast back roof line) so maybe someone did add them.

Any chance that the factory put some of these on the Impala's?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like a convertible item if it's stainless.

Windshield Pillar Cover, stainless on models 163-164 (Impala convertible) and 167-16867 (Impala Supersport convertible)

1966 Chevrolet

62BillT

Well Known Member
Any chance that the factory put some of these on the Impala's?

Not as far as I have seen (but I've been wrong before, lol). But I believe it is Caprice only.

Also right, the Convertible has different Chrome, but also different from the Caprice Hardtop pieces.

Bill

bobs409

Administrator
I wonder if a vinyl top had anything to do with it? This car didn't have a vinyl top but it may have had one originally. ??

Well, here they are. Wish the one wasn't buggered up at the top. :(

DSCN3387.jpg

62BillT

Well Known Member
Good point. My Caprice has a Vinyl Top. Does the car have the Chrome Divider Moldings below the Back Glass and at the bottom of the C-Pillars?

bobs409

Administrator
No moldings but they might have been removed and holes filled. (car was all half-assed primered up) Will check for holes next time I'm there for sure.