66 Impala front wheel cylinder hell

bobs409

Administrator
Gotta vent a little. :tantrum :splat

Did you know that the front wheel cylinders on a 66 Impala are attached by that big assed stud thing, whatever it's called that the top of the brake shoes sit against?

So as you can imagine, it's not budging! Probably hasn't been turned since 1966!!! It only has a little area to actually get a socket onto but wants to just slip.

(photo courtesy of the web, not my actual car) :

0603ch_06_z+disc_brakes+unbolting_drum_brakes.jpg

I'd like to kick the ass of the guy who designed this. :angry :bat It's 90 degree's with high humidity and I'm gettin' real cranky! :mad5

I'll take any usable suggestion to getting these off. :read

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:pokeA good 6 point deep well socket on an impact,and they'll come right out,Bob.It looks like who ever put those shoes on the last time or two didn't know or care about using brake lube between the shoes and the backing plate.You've got more work to do.

bobs409

Administrator
That's not my car, just a pic I found online. My impact barely takes lugs off so that's out. I tried a 6 point deep socket with a breaker bar and pipe but there's not enough of the nut part to keep it on. Feels like the little bastard is really cranked on there! Only tried one so far...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes.they're usually on there pretty good,especially since the factory also applied a lock tight like substance when installed.Go get a real impact gun,such as Rodeck.Using a breaker bar will not allow you to keep the socket square on the bolt that you're trying to turn.Do you have a decent air chisel?If so try using a sharp bit in the direction you're trying to go.

bobs409

Administrator
Think I'll see if I can "soup up" my impact gun first! :D Guess that's another job that has been on hold long enough...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the socket doesn't cut it, try a big pipe wrench and maybe an extra pipe for leverage. If that gets it, you will just have to clean up the marks left by the pipe wrench jaws.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You can put some lightweight oil in your impact on the air intake port a good squirter or two.that will help it developed more break over power.sounds like you need to order a new impact....

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Had the same problem on one of my Chevys. Forget which one. That nut didn't wanted to budge. Made me quite angry. I got the torches out and heated it until cherry red. I said "how do you like that"? Could have turned it out with my fingers if it wasn't so hot. I know not everyone has torches. Until I got mine, I used Mapp gas which worked decently. Took longer to heat up and didn't quite get that cherry glow, but I got by for the most part, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Well I had to open a big can of whoop-ass but I won that battle. :D I decided to drill a few holes in the casting that goes around that anchor bolt since I was replacing the whole cylinder anyway. Once I knocked a few pieces out, it took the pressure off of the bolt and it came out no problem. RH side tomorrow... :hammer :bat

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
There is a tin flap that you need to bend back away from nut with a flat chisel ,then the deep socket should grab enough to nut to get off. If your socket is worn on end ,you can grind the socket end down to where the socket will have full contact on nut. I have torch set up also ,but have alway's got those off without heat. Of course I have good impact's so that make's the difference.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I also have had to take a bfh and chisel to break the wheel cylinder out so the stud will come right out. Here's a good one for you, after I broke the old one out I put the new one in and I guess it wasn't centered perfectly so when torqing the stud the new wheel cylinder snapped. I pulled a few of my remaining hairs out!!!!!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
PB Blaster and a GOOD impact

yup - a little heat and PB and then a good impact. I have an old Chicago Pneumatic from the 60's
and I call it King Kong. When my cheapie won't move it King Kong will. Make sure your air source is
min 3/8 line and min 120 psi and no coil line........:cool:
Did my 66 Impala with the orig w/cyl and no problem.....:winner

bobs409

Administrator
I did have a coil hose at the end. :rub Hmm, maybe that's the problem. :facepalm :dunno

Oh yeh, RH side wasn't cooperative either so it got the drill & chisel treatment too! :hammer :hammer :hammer