66 Impala front wheel cylinder hell

bobs409

Administrator
I also have had to take a bfh and chisel to break the wheel cylinder out so the stud will come right out. Here's a good one for you, after I broke the old one out I put the new one in and I guess it wasn't centered perfectly so when torqing the stud the new wheel cylinder snapped. I pulled a few of my remaining hairs out!!!!!!

And I thought I had bad luck. :laugh2

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
yup - a little heat and PB and then a good impact. I have an old Chicago Pneumatic from the 60's
and I call it King Kong. When my cheapie won't move it King Kong will. Make sure your air source is
min 3/8 line and min 120 psi and no coil line........:cool:
Did my 66 Impala with the orig w/cyl and no problem.....:winner
I had bought an industrial impact year's ago, ingersol rand,it was heavy. I took it apart and enlarged the air vein hole's for more power. I only used it for stuff my regular daily use impact would not budge. If any one else in the shop had something they could not remove they would come over and say ,can i borrow Bertha?????:D

bobs409

Administrator
I had bought an industrial impact year's ago, ingersol rand,it was heavy. I took it apart and enlarged the air vein hole's for more power. I only used it for stuff my regular daily use impact would not budge. If any one else in the shop had something they could not remove they would come over and say ,can i borrow Bertha?????:D

So where was Bertha when I needed her??? :angry

:laugh4

ragtp66

Well Known Member
There is a tin flap that you need to bend back away from nut with a flat chisel ,then the deep socket should grab enough to nut to get off. If your socket is worn on end ,you can grind the socket end down to where the socket will have full contact on nut. I have torch set up also ,but have alway's got those off without heat. Of course I have good impact's so that make's the difference.

Make sure you replace or at least reinstall that french on the stud. If you need a new one they are $1.00 each from www.shafersclassic.com part number WCW001 be sure to bend the tab over one of the flats and also the mounting ear of the wheel cylinder so it cannot back out.