67 Impala fiber optic

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, this should be an easy one. I found this in a 67 Impala that had the dash torn apart so I don't know what it is.

Ashtray light? Cigarette socket light? Key light?

Just need to know so I can list it on ebay.

Thanks,

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
DOH! :doh

That's what happens when you "multi-task" as I do.

Here it is:

Attachments

• 67impfiber.jpg
    67impfiber.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 191

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I don't know about the cars, but on the pickups 67-72, a similar fiber optic is used to light the gear selector on the steering column for the automatic transmission.
Ron

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob
Here is a quote from musclecar.com about the 1967 Impala.

"The Impala also had a host of new safety and convenience features, including a dual master cylinder brake system, an energy absorbing steering column, and an ignition switch illuminated by the first use of fiber optics technology to appear in a Chevrolet."

I should not have included 67-70 pickups in my previous post. My 71 Chev and my son's 71 GMC have fiber optic lit gear selector on the steering column. Not sure when it started.
Ron

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Ron. The only thing is the ignition switch is still in it because there is no key. I'm not sure how the ring part would attach to that. :dunno This was just laying on the floor near the center hump.

I'll have to check it better next time I go there. I was thinking it might be the cigarette lighter but we'll see.

I knew about the truck shift indicators, I have one for sale now on ebay. It might be 69-72 but not sure. I also have the ashtray fiber optics for Chevelles, etc. They started in 69 for the Chevelles and other Chevy cars.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm still confused about this. I got back to the car and the ignition switch is still in the dash, can't remove it as there is no key. I don't see how this could possibly attach to it. :dunno I checked the lighter socket too and there is no way it could go there either.

Guess I'll have to hang onto it until I figure out what it is.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of those Impalas had fiber optic turn indicators on the front fenders.
The ring though throws me off.
I`ll send out the picture and see if I get any info back,dq

bobs409

Administrator
I'm sorry for not updating this. :doh

I got the ignition switch from this car recently and the ring with the D shape fits it perfectly so it is an ignition light for sure. The part that was throwing me off is it was laying on the floor but the switch was still in the dash. That means the last owner (that's the jerk that junked this very fixable 67 "fastback") must have removed it and put the switch back in. ???

It's already been ebayed and sold. It got $18.68 as the top bid.

Bob

P.S. no turn signal fiber optics. Wish it did! Those are very rare. Weren't they called vigi lites or something? :dunno

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I'm sorry for not updating this. :doh

Bob

P.S. no turn signal fiber optics. Wish it did! Those are very rare. Weren't they called vigi lites or something? :dunno
Yes, Vigilites were the fiber optic turnsignal indicators and they are extremely rare.