68 Impala convertible glass debacle...

bobs409

Administrator
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I know nothing about convertibles! :gaahI'll PM Mike so he chimes in too but maybe we have some convertible experts here?

Hollanders manual says wing window glass and door glass is convertible only 67-68. What is the difference between the convertible and coupe glass anyway? :bang

For the door glass, I got (3) 68 Impala doors from Mike. He said (2) were convertible and the 3rd from a hardtop. I pulled the roll up windows from all and put the 2 RH windows up against each other and there is NO difference between the convertible vs. coupe.

Hey Mike, you sure on these doors? :D Any chance that all 3 are hardtop? That would explain the missing door wedges. :rub

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Oops! I messed up a bit. (see how confused I am?) :D Hollanders does say the vent glass is the same coup/conv.

Let's just keep this discussion for the door roll up glass. That is supposed to be convertible only.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't seem to have any catalogs that cover 1968. I still need to verify what these are so I can list them. I've got a LH and (2) RH's but not sure if coupe or convertible.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Not real sure about the '67 and '68 Door Glass, but on some, I seemed to remember the angle of the glass where it meets the Rear Quarter Glass being different between a Hard Top and Convertible.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
67-68 both same vent glass. door glass and qtr glass is different between hardtop and convert. My official glass catalog only lists "block size" which is next to impossible to decipher. can't tell you how to recognize one from the other but they are not the same.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I realize some people would buy used glass, which is foolish in my opinion since both hardtop and convert side glass is reproduced and readily available brand new.

bobs409

Administrator
With help from Mike on measurements of his convertible, I got this figured out! Mikes glass is 29 inches across the top and my glass is only 25-1/2!

This told me his glass must be angled back quite a bit so I googled some good old 68 Chevy's and you can clearly see the convertible is angled quite a bit and the hard top is almost straight up & down.

See for yourself:

glass.jpg

No charge for the lesson. :write

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There was both a 2 dr."fastback",and a 2 dr. "formal" or Caprice roof line in 68.Back to the drawing board,Bob.The fastback and the convertable glasses look very simular,but the formal glass is different.Which one do you have? The Caprice cars had the formal roof lines,as in the picture that you posted.

bobs409

Administrator
Um, this is gonna be harder than I thought! Checking hollanders, it shows one number for Impala custom (3124 black one above) another number for Exc. custom 2991 and yet another number for Caprice! (2994) :facepalm :bang :gaah

62BillT

Well Known Member
Um, this is gonna be harder than I thought! Checking hollanders, it shows one number for Impala custom (3124 black one above) another number for Exc. custom 2991 and yet another number for Caprice! (2994) :facepalm:bang:gaah

That's why I like to label any of my parts that I take off cars, but when someone else doesn't, we are all in the same boat, lol.

The best bet would be to take measurements off of all 3 cars. In '68, I could supply the Fastback. But, I just remembered something else. Look at the sloping Roof Lines of all 3 cars. I believe the Fastback slopes sharper than the other two which means the Glass will probably have a lower cut at the top at the back end of it, thus what is probably making it different.

bobs409

Administrator
At 25.5 I would say you have the Caprice style. The fastback looks at least as long as the convert

Well I think I can rule out the Caprice because the one door had the old beat up door panel and it didn't have the woodgrain top area that Caprice had. It was the Impala style. I'm thinking it has to be the custom model. Now I need to find someone that has one so I can get the measurements. :D

That's why I like to label any of my parts that I take off cars, but when someone else doesn't, we are all in the same boat, lol.

The best bet would be to take measurements off of all 3 cars. In '68, I could supply the Fastback. But, I just remembered something else. Look at the sloping Roof Lines of all 3 cars. I believe the Fastback slopes sharper than the other two which means the Glass will probably have a lower cut at the top at the back end of it.

Mike was awesome about labeling things but may have gotten the doors wrong. With as much stuff as he had, it was no easy task keeping track of things. There's not much that wasn't labeled. (thankfully) :D