68 Impala convertible glass debacle...

62BillT

Well Known Member
Mike was awesome about labeling things but may have gotten the doors wrong. With as much stuff as he had, it was no easy task keeping track of things. There's not much that wasn't labeled. (thankfully) :D

I have also run into mis-labeled parts. Every once in a while I'll look at one labeled and say "No way", lol.

It's nice when it can be proved one way or another.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, you may be right about those yellow doors coming off of a hardtop if the glass is flat and not curved, even though I still have pictures showing those doors on the conv I pulled out of the junk yard, as I can't remember having a yellow hard top. But that was back in 91 or 92?? Anyway I pulled out an old numbers book and checked on the mod. numbers for 68 hardtops and convertibles. So now to confuse the issue a bit more, here goes... In 68 , Chevrolet made three hard top models. Model # 6647 was a CAPRICE V-8 eng. Model #6447 was an Impala CUSTOM V-8 eng. Model #6487 was the sport coupe/ or FASTBACK, also a V-8 , as the second digit is and even number. All of these Mod. numbers are part of the VIN... In addition to the hardtops, we also have the convertible Model #6467 also a V-8 as the second digit is 4, an even number.....Here is the full VIN off of my convertible. 164678T226359. 1 for Chev. 64 is series. 67 is conv. 8 is yr. T is plant, and the seq. build numbers.....So now lets look at my Glass ref. information charts: The CAPRICE door glass is much longer in length and it shows no wing window for this model, So, did the Caprice even have a wing window, I am not sure? The Custom mod #6447shows the shortest door glass in length. The FASTBACK model #6487 and the convertible model #6467 door glass are showing the exact same measurements for both.. In 1967 Chevrolet did NOT make the Caprice or the Custom models, only the Convertible and the 2 dr Spt Cpe or FASTBACK, and they also had the same glass as the 68 models. Bob you may just have to relax and wait for the car show season and take your tape measure with you. The wing or vent window glass were all the same measurements as shown in my ref. material. In addition, all of the wing window chrome frames on all of the 68's that I have seen are all flat across the top , not like the 61 thru 64 where the convertibles are flat and the hardtops come to a point. Now have a beer Bob, and it should all come together in time.:winner'

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Find a glass shop that has all the old patterns and see if they can identify it. Could get the code off the glass to narrow it down.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Caprice Model 16647 was the only one with no vent window.
The door glass area was :
1065.6 for model 16647 Caprice custom coupe
922.8 for Impala model 16487 sport coupe
925.6 for Impala model 16467 convertible
All glass was curved except back window on convertible.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, they sure did make a Caprice in 67, just wondering why the Glass reference material showed specs. for the 68 Caprice and nothing for a 67? Learn something new every day with these cars....

62BillT

Well Known Member
I just opened my Hollander Interchange for another part and while I was at it I re-checked the Door Glass for a '68 2-Dr car.

They actually made 5 different ones for a '68 Full Size Chevy 2-Dr.

-'68 2-Dr Sedan
-'68 2-Dr HT (Fastback)
-'68 2-Dr HT (Impala Custom)
-'68 2-Dr HT (Caprice)
-'68 Convertible

Bill