69 C10 stepside cab R&R and the last resto (for this one)

bobs409

Administrator
Well, here we go again. Time to tear into my truck again. I've been thru this truck every which way over the 22 years I've owned it and this time it's a cab change. There isn't much of the original truck left! Never having done a build thread on this one, I'll do one now. :)

The cab on this truck has been patched up in many ways and you just cannot restore a cab and still drive it if you want a good job. The roof is bondo'd from what I would guess a tree or something heavy falling on it, the body mount and cowl are rotted, floors I patched, etc, etc. I didn't want to take my truck off the road for a few years so I spotted a decent cab in a junkyard a few years back that really only need a floor. (even that wasn't really that bad) Over many years I would work a little at a time on it. I put a whole new floor with braces in and replaced the usual areas like rockers panels, cab corners and even the drop off pieces that meet up with the rockers. I repaired the top cowl section after removing it completely so I could do the repairs properly. It's finally just about ready so no more putting this off! :D

This cab is from a 71 so a few changes had to be done. First it had the cargo light on back and I didn't want to keep that so I welded a filler panel into the hole. The driver door jam has a vent so that will be removed when I swap over the panel from my old cab. (that way I don't mess with the rivets on the vin tags) Other than that, the gas pedal area needs a few changes as the 71's used a cable and I want to keep the linkage type used for 69.

Yesterday I took the truck out for a nice long last ride to use up what was left of the premium in the tank.

So, first thing is to remove the brand new hood I put on last year using my handy dandy one man hood remover I made last year. Worked great!!! Then the fenders, grill surround, inner fenders and top cowl panel. I'm leaving the engine & drive train with rad support and the box in place and will detail those later. Hoping to lift the cab up high enough from the front to roll the rest out from under it. We'll see...

Up until now, this truck lived outside in the elements and has been gone thru many times repainting, replacing parts over and over like door handles and bumpers but I'm getting too old to keep re-doing it! lol It takes time and money away from the other cars too. You just can't keep them nice when they live outside! I've made the decision to put it in my back garage next to the wrecker. They are both 69's so I think they'll get along well. lol The bad thing is I'll have to put my 69 Chevelle outside but it's in need of a full resto anyway. I've been saving that one for a "future project." (that's code for I'm only one man and only have so much ENERGY so it has to wait!) Maybe if it's out, I'll actually get some work done to it!?!

I will miss all the head turns and nice comments I get from having my stepside parked in my driveway though. Everyone loves that truck but she's all mine!

A little more...

This truck has come full circle in so many ways. Originally I believe this was a special order for the Army or government use of some sort. It was olive Army green with very few options. The option codes on the glove door are odd and do not match regular production codes. It still has holes in the glove door from a data plate you would see on government vehicles. (tag was gone when I bought it)

Over the years before I got it, it was original olive green, then a metallic green, then red, then orange, then a darker blue (I got it with that color), then I changed it to the current "Grabber blue" which is a Ford color. Guess what? I'm changing the color again! lol I'm thinking of changing to "Sail blue" from the 2018 Jeep Wranglers. It's similar to the Ford color but more bluish? Until I actually buy the paint, the color choice may change!

For power plants, this truck had just about all of them! Originally a 6 cylinder/3 speed on column, it had a worn 307 when I bought it w/TH350, then I went thru (2) 350's before it's final engine which is a 454 that I completely rebuilt.

More as I progress but let's start at the beginning on how to remove a truck from a hood:

Step 1: position one man hood remover in place and put a little upward pressure on it. Remove all hood bolts.

Step 2: tilt hood back and tie in that position.

Step 3: Remove truck. :D

DSCN2549.jpgDSCN2550.jpgDSCN2551.jpgDSCN2554.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
BTW, this is the color I'm thinking of...

1.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
We have lift off!

Plan A: It was going good until the weight shifted because I forgot to throw a few bolts in the chain.

DSCN2578.jpgDSCN2579.jpgDSCN2580.jpg

I then opted for Plan B. That's the one where I move everything out of the way and I flip the cab off by hand! (plan B worked) :D

DSCN2581.jpgDSCN2582.jpgDSCN2591.jpg

A perfect landing! :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And Bob is not from Californium, he knows his rust.

I liked that snow plow lift idea Bob, just go in your machine shop and make up a jig and use that to put the cab back. A few rags on that box should protect it, no need to remove it. :bow

bobs409

Administrator
And Bob is not from Californium, he knows his rust.

I liked that snow plow lift idea Bob, just go in your machine shop and make up a jig and use that to put the cab back. A few rags on that box should protect it, no need to remove it. :bow

Don! You're a genious! I haven't even thought of using the plow. That opens up many more avenues... :D Actually, the Jeep is helping, the crane is chained to it and the Jeep is keeping it from tipping up. Have I watched too many Red Green shows? :crazy

bobs409

Administrator
Spent Easter Sunday swapping in the part the gas pedal assembly bolts to from the old cab. (want to keep the linkage type, this cab had cable type) Filled in small square where the cable would have gone through and also put a patch in the hole where the clutch rod normally comes through. (this is an automatic so no need for it at least right now...)

I also made new body mount top plates and welded them in. Goot'n strong now! :D Vin panel is all that's left and I can soon paint the firewall and interior of cab. Once frame detailing is done, it will be time for some re-assembly! :happy

DSCN2605.jpgDSCN2606.jpg