69 C30 Wrecker

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the pic Bob. Sorry to put you to so much trouble, but that's not the one I need.:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Vic's closing shop

Looks like Vic is selling everything and closing his business. Here is another of his wreckers on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...8?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33634505cc#v4-32

Here's a roll back of his that ended but didn't sell:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...8433952?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item519690f7a0

A friend of mine that was trying to buy my wrecker from Vic for years told me about it. He thinks my truck might be original miles too. (49K)

Vic wanted 3 thousand for mine when my friend asked about it so that's why it never sold. He always told him what a great truck it was/is.

Sure glad he didn't ebay this one. I swear it was mean't to be! :)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek: 20 thousand is awfully high on a 91,no matter how low the miles.I'm glad you got the 69.It now has a good home,and will be a really neat truck when finished.Most of those early truck 350's has 4 bolt mains,and STEEL cranks.The heads sucked [tiny valves]but that is eaisly fixed with a head swap.:deal.Small tube headers,dual exhaust,Performer style intake ,and a little carb.tunning,are good for a bunch of power,and 2-3 mpg improvement,been there,done that:crazy

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There we go agian Don's spending Bob's money

:roll Hey Bob If we are going to start spending your money I've got a brand new 383 stroker you can buy. :roll

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not even opening this engine up. A thorough cleaning, oil change and all new tune up parts for now. It runs great! Rebuild later if needed.

My main focus is the body. I already found a nice used LH fender and ordered new door skins. I'm making my list and checking it twice... :deal

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like a great project. Should give you something to do this winter. Can you get in indoors to start tearing it apart at least?

bobs409

Administrator
:roll It won't fit through the doorway! Boom is too high. So it looks like I'll be doing this oil change on the ground like old times. :bang

I'm just hoping I can get it into the car port out back. Gonna try tomorrow.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,Look closer at the boom,it can be raised or lowered :doh.Usually by a crank on the drivers side of the boom.:D

bobs409

Administrator
Today is our 1 week anniversary so I treated it to an oil change. Has the old cannister style filter. Odd thing is it took 6 quarts. :?Even the owners manual only says 5 with the filter.

Well you could give me a million dollars to lower that boom and I'd fail. For the life of me I can't see how it would be able to lower. :scratch

There is a lever on the driver side of the winch but can't get it to move but it doesn't look like it could do anything with the boom.

The good news is it all actually does work. They bent the cable on the PTO from the loader at the junkyard, that's why the knob wouldn't pull up. I manually moved the lever under it and everything started wirring and spinning. :D The winch works perfectly.

And what really made my day.... The beacon WORKS! :cool: I ran hot wire up to it and it lit up and was spinning. So cool. :)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cool::cool::cool: Great news Bob.What make makes it look that way from the pictures I,ve seen is the position of the two to top cables.Closer pictures of the wrecker bed ,please :pray We'll figure it out.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
I wish you good luck on this one Don. :D

The boom part does have pivot points at the bottom but it's that cable that doesn't make sense. If the cable were removed, the boom is capable of moving up and down.

Behind the part that says "power operated", the cable end has a hook and it's hooked onto a metal plate in that area. (see pic) It runs up and over a pulley next to the top chrome light and back to a pulley at the end of the boom, then it returns the the other pulley next to the other top chrome light and does the exact same thing on the other side, goes down and hooks onto another metal plate. :dunno So the cable does nothing but hold it all up but there is no way of actually reeling the cable up/down/in/out. :scratch

Also see the pic of the handle on the left side of the winch. (second pic) Can't figure out what the heck it does and it only jiggles a little, won't move. I haven't put a pipe on it or anything. (yet) :D

Lastly, (3rd pic) why does this not have slings? I never saw one like this. :scratch It's got the big metal plate that would go against a bumper but not on any car I own! Guess I could put a rubber pad there or shove a small tire in between that and the car bumper if I were to actually tow something.

Sure wish the operators manual was here for this thing. I've searched everywhere for anything related to wreck masters and didn't find much. Would love to find any manuals or brochures on these. Heck, I'd settle for some magazine ads. :deal

Attachments

• 100_3592.jpg
    100_3592.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_3501.jpg
    100_3501.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_3596.jpg
    100_3596.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 79

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cool: okay,as far as the boom goes,one would remove the cable from the sling,run the winch cable in the up position until the boom starts raising,disconect the hooks holding the boom,run the cable down which would allow the boom to go down. I think that small lever is a disconnect for the winch.This would allow faster cable pull-out for hooking up something at a distance[as to in a ditch].The sling most likely rotted/wore away over the years,and replaced with the abortion thats on the truck now for use in moving stuff around the "yard".Those are my best guesses at this distance.

bobs409

Administrator
You continually amaze me Don. I think your right! It sure makes sense in theory anyway. :D I'll give that a try next time I fire it up.

wrench, that site is only for training. I checked around and it was only formed in the early 80's so that would be long after this was made. Good try though. :deal

bobs409

Administrator
Scored a sling today! I'll be putting new rubber slings on and will have to fab some brackets to attach it but this will be much better than what's on there now.

The truck I got this from also has the hand winch on the side to raise/lower the boom. I'm thinking about getting that too. :deal

Just collecting parts for now. Got a brake line lock from a wrecker but I found an electric type in another I might use instead. This wrecker doesn't have one but will be a nice addition. Got a nice used 100' cable to replace this rusty one on there now. Got some new brake lights to put on the top and some NOS side marker lenses to replace the broken ones.

Little by little... Can't wait to tear into it. I'm literally going to take this whole truck apart piece by piece. I found they now make a whole new floor complete with all the braces so I think I'm going to give one of those a try instead of playing around with all seperate parts. I'll wait to buy one at Carlisle this spring so I don't have to pay truck shipping. :eek:

Attachments

• 100_3812.jpg
    100_3812.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 43

bobs409

Administrator
Well I towed my first car with the wrecker! :cool:

Had to rearrange my cars out back so I towed the 68 Chevelle out around front, turned around and brought it back in facing the other way. (I know, you haven't a clue what I just said) :D

Fact is though, the old wrecker can still haul the freight! It went real well. We're both rusty, the last time I towed a car was in 1989! I used to tow cars occasionally at a garage I worked at. They had a 1979 Chevy. Was the best part of working there. :D

I was able to get the boom down using Don's advice so now it's under the car port and I can start doing some disassembly. I've got ALOT of work to do! :D Just have to take it one piece at a time...

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Scored a sling today! I'll be putting new rubber slings on and will have to fab some brackets to attach it but this will be much better than what's on there now.

The truck I got this from also has the hand winch on the side to raise/lower the boom. I'm thinking about getting that too. :deal

Just collecting parts for now. Got a brake line lock from a wrecker but I found an electric type in another I might use instead. This wrecker doesn't have one but will be a nice addition. Got a nice used 100' cable to replace this rusty one on there now. Got some new brake lights to put on the top and some NOS side marker lenses to replace the broken ones.

Little by little... Can't wait to tear into it. I'm literally going to take this whole truck apart piece by piece. I found they now make a whole new floor complete with all the braces so I think I'm going to give one of those a try instead of playing around with all seperate parts. I'll wait to buy one at Carlisle this spring so I don't have to pay truck shipping. :eek:
Bob,
I think i can help you out with new rubber you need for that sling just PM me on what size you are looking for
Brian,