69 C30 Wrecker

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You should pick up a southern cab Bob, might save you a lot of work.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
I think even the southern cabs would have some rot. These rotted right after leaving the dealer lot I think. :D

I'm determined to fix this one and once I set my mind to something...

bobs409

Administrator
Just a small update. I did manage to get that hand crank winch I found on a wrecker in the junkyard. The bolts put up one hell of a fight but I won. :D

So with the addition of this, I'll be able to set the boom height any way I want with just the crank of a handle. :deal

I don't think I mentioned this before but I found another beacon light that has no rust on it. Case is stainless steel which I took to the buffer. It needed a new dome lens and gasket which I found online. So the beacon is restored and just waiting for the rest of the truck...

Not much else right now. We've been getting nailed with COLD temps and SNOW!:cuss It's quite depressing actually. Everytime the roads get dry, another mess comes along. And the SALT! It's white around here even without the snow. :bang They spray this stuff around like there's no tomorrow.

Did a bit of research on how to get it legal and didn't like what I read so far. Sounds like a nightmare. Typical red tape BS that will probably end my dream of going commercial with it. :cry We're talking towing permit that is hard to get from what I read, yearly towing license, yearly commercial plates, yearly commercial insurance, then a business license, tax license, yada, yada, yada...

If starting a big towing business, these things could be done feasable however my "few cars a month" idea with an antique wrecker probably wouldn't be enough to justify the cost & aggravation. But I'm still looking... :grumble:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bang Now youre beginning to see why it's so expensive to have a ccar towed anymore,and if you think the insurance is expensive now:evil just imagine how much it would be if you hired another person or two.:takethat

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Snow what snow

:crazy I am sorry I have not got back on the decals but the guy I am getting them from is waiting for his 440 Mopar I am doing for him. The wheather here has put obsticles in the way like shoveling the shop roof twice now. Bob it would be nice if you guys in Pa took a little more wind out of the sails of this next storm coming thru tommorow and maybe I could get to the shop more often.:roll:roll

bobs409

Administrator
Naw, if I have to shovel every other day, so do you! :evil

:D It's really getting old though. Spring will sure feel good this year! :deal

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Don
You must be serious about this weather thing. You posted it twice:roll:roll:roll

We are going to Cecil country next week to visit my brother, can't wait, it was -25 this morning.:cuss

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don
You must be serious about this weather thing. You posted it twice:roll:roll:roll

We are going to Cecil country next week to visit my brother, can't wait, it was -25 this morning.:cuss

It's been in the low 70's until today, now some rainshowers and temps dropping to 50 and below by wednesday.....winter's last gasp.:coffee:

bobs409

Administrator
Score!

What are the odds? I located my original maroon interior parts today!

I've been watching ebay hoping to locate parts to replace the missing ones. I checked the completed listings and found a pair of maroon sun visors had sold and the seller was only a few miles from me. The light went on! Could those be MY sunvisors from the wrecker?

I contacted him and asked if he had any other interior parts in that color and he told me he had door panels and arm rests. So I went to see them and sure enough, they were from my wrecker. He bought these parts just before I bought the whole truck. He even still had the outer seat belts so I bought the whole package for $40 That's a steal for this hard to find maroon color but even better since these are the original parts to my truck. :deal

So, I missed the sun visors but at least I have the other pieces now. That saves me ALOT of grief. I'm a little closer now... :D

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not complaining though. This odd ball color fetches big bucks when it does turn up. No one is reproducing it and hard to find used.

Now if I could just find a NOS seat cover, dash pad and floor mat in maroon. :pray

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are the odds? I located my original maroon interior parts today!

I've been watching ebay hoping to locate parts to replace the missing ones. I checked the completed listings and found a pair of maroon sun visors had sold and the seller was only a few miles from me. The light went on! Could those be MY sunvisors from the wrecker?

I contacted him and asked if he had any other interior parts in that color and he told me he had door panels and arm rests. So I went to see them and sure enough, they were from my wrecker. He bought these parts just before I bought the whole truck. He even still had the outer seat belts so I bought the whole package for $40 That's a steal for this hard to find maroon color but even better since these are the original parts to my truck. :deal

So, I missed the sun visors but at least I have the other pieces now. That saves me ALOT of grief. I'm a little closer now... :D

:eek:

Thats great!

Why does this never happen for me..?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bang It never happens for most of us,but at least this time it happened to a good:eek: guy :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
The tear down begins...

Warmed up to 50 or so today, felt like summer! :D

Got alot of the wrecker portion dismantled. I had to have removed at least 10 pounds of rust and dirt that was laying in the box. Luckily the tool box was only bolted down so that came off easy. That is definetly a home made "add on" but I like it, probably put it back on to keep the J hooks in. :deal

The part of the boom that is left does unbolt from the frame so up next is removing the winch and then the upright piece.

Front half of floor will be replaced due to rot here and there. The back half has no rot and should be re-usable. Now to find a place around here to buy diamond plate steel. I searched Google for my area and not much turned up. I also searched sand blasting in my area and only a few leads. I'm thinking of taking the wrecker parts and having someone else blast them, I HATE sand blasting! :cuss I might even take the whole wrecker box if the price is decent.

Fun, fun, fun... :D

Attachments

• 100_4080.jpg
    100_4080.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_4081.jpg
    100_4081.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 34

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Mike. I know right where that is too. :deal

I have a few leads I'm following right now but if they don't work out, I'll check that place out.

Thanks. :cheers