69 C30 Wrecker

bobs409

Administrator
I didn't try there yet but haven't forgotten. I have a feeling they won't have the correct stuff I need though.

I learned there are many different designs of this stuff. (see post in wanted section for pic)

Since this was built in 1969, odds are it's going to be a challenge to find it. It's not actually a diamond shape at all, it's a football shape. :dunno

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I didn't try there yet but haven't forgotten. I have a feeling they won't have the correct stuff I need though.

I learned there are many different designs of this stuff. (see post in wanted section for pic)

Since this was built in 1969, odds are it's going to be a challenge to find it. It's not actually a diamond shape at all, it's a football shape. :dunno

Check with him you might be suprised!
Let me know what Jim Sr. says.

Mike

bobs409

Administrator
Oh no it doesn't! I am out of room. :D

The back on it looks a bit modern. There were trucks like this made back then but they were more of a ramp bed, shaped like a wedge of cheese. They didn't tilt up like this one might.

While I'm here, a small update on the truck. I almost got the rest of the boom portion removed. It was a real workout dealing with those old bolts, had to cut most off. Can't get the PTO driveshaft to come off the way it should either. Everything is being stubborn on it. :bang The back bed is next, then that gets set off the to side so I can continue the dismantle.

I had some good luck in a new junkyard. A 71 Chevy came in that someone obviously fixed up with alot of new parts. It's shiny and hugger orange too! Unfortunately, they cheaped out on some like the rockers and used tons of bondo and screen for the repairs. :barf

I noticed it had new front wheel wells so I snatched them up for the wrecker. That saved me alot of money as these are about $90 a piece. Had a new LH fender too so I got that as well. Pretty cool going to a junkyard to get repro parts. :deal Got a real good hood and a perfect fan shroud as well as a good heater control to replace the missing one. Parts are really starting to pile up around here. :D

Oh yeh, while I never give my vehicles "pet names", I have decided to name this truck VIC. :D It only seems fitting so it is now officially "Vic the tow truck." :roll

bobs409

Administrator
Got most of the engine apart now. Stamped on the tops of the pistons is: CAM Z-16 and a 17 under that. Does that mean anything to anyone? They are flat tops.

The rod bearings have GM-200 and 11-68 on them. Any chance the 11-68 is the date? I think that's around the build date. Appropriate with the head build dates; L108 and L78

In my "expert" opinion, I'd have to say this is a 149K engine. There is a little ring wear edge at the tops of the cylinders and it's basically dirty enough for that kind of mileage. Too dirty to be 49K but not bad enough to be 249K. :eek: Still had a nylon cam gear with GM on it. Did these ever last 149K? No signs of ever being apart for anything major that I can tell.

This is using all of my 1 year experience at engine building. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Woohoo! I found some diamond plate that is an exact match! :cool:

I found this on a VERY old firetruck today in a junkyard. These 2 pieces were screwed to the tops of the rear fenders. Will have to drive my truck over them to get the curve out! This is some tough stuff!

These will be enough to repair the damaged areas. If not, I can go back and get the running boards and rear tail section that is the same. It would have been nice to get 2 large pieces and replace full sections but this will do just fine.

So another item gets scratched off the list. :deal

Oh yeh, I went shopping too. :D I placed a $1234.50 order at the car & truck shop for all kinds of new resto goodies. I love to shop for car parts. :love

Engine block, heads and crank will go to machine shop later this week if weather permits.

Attachments

• 100_4487.jpg
    100_4487.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 19

bobs409

Administrator
Man this thing is giving me a daily workout!

I got the box off (pic 1) a few days ago and it was an all day project. Lots of drama but I'll skip over that fiasco. Next day it was time to remove items like the shocks, driveshaft and odds/ends. The one shock came off real nice but the other? :cuss I think it took about an hour! I literally had to cut it off!

Think these shocks can be re-used? (pic 2)

Yesterday it was time to pull the rear wheels and get into the brakes to see what new parts I would need. First off, EVERY lug nut except 1 would not budge! I even snapped off a 3/4 extension on one. I had to heat each lug with a propane torch to get them off. About an hour and a pound of sweat to get 15 lugs off. :grumble:

Once that was finally done, you would think the hard part was over but go to pull the rims off and they are stuck! Starting on the passenger side the first one didn't put up much of a fight when I introduced it to my hammer but the inner one did. Had no trouble getting the rest apart on that side. Happily the wheel cylinders look good so I can simply rebuild them. The one brake cable is still good but the other has some frayed cable and a broken spring. Problem is, no one sells these!!!! :bang

As you can see in (pic 3), ol' Vic sure got his moneys worth out of these brake shoes! Right down into the rivets. Luckily they seem to be made of brass so they did not cut the drums which look salvagable. :pray These run over $100 a piece so I am very glad of that. :D These are big shoes, 13 X 2.5! The sucky part of these rears is you have to pull the axles to get the drums off. Horrible thing for general brake inspections so they get neglected alot. My 71 C20 has the same thing which reminds me, time to check those shoes too...

Was hoping for a posi but knew it wouldn't have one judging by the bald tires on the one side. :evil

The one thing I just don't understand is why posi was not standard on all cars and trucks? Remember how cheap that option was when these were new? Why on earth would anyone WANT only 1 wheel grabbing? Especially in my area where we get all 4 seasons and some bad snow storms. And futher, peg leg rear on a wrecker? I never have luck with getting cars with posi's, I usually have to add it myself and it's NO longer a cheap option. Know of any 4.10 posi chunks lying around? :deal

So after stripping all that side down, (pic 4) I moved to the other side to repeat the process. Same thing over there but even worse. The inner wheel is SO stuck on the drum that it's still on there. (pic 5) I had to just pull the drum with wheel on for now. :cuss Time for a block of wood and the BFH! :eek:

So...next up is the front steering/suspension. I just can't wait to get started on my workout. Who needs Richard Simmons, I got sweatin' to the oldies. 1969 that is. :D

Attachments

• 100_4728.jpg
    100_4728.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_4732.jpg
    100_4732.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_4763.jpg
    100_4763.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_4764.jpg
    100_4764.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_4769.jpg
    100_4769.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 23

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Bob, I got some info for your wrecker rear e-brake cables from my Chebie truck parts book.The part # for your cables are 4.779 = 3915596. R& L are the same This # is for '69-'70 C-30 and they are 50 19/32" long.The book also lists another # 4.779=3915597 This # is for '68-'72 C-30 with 4:57 rear and 11,000 lb.axel.These cables are 49 11/32" long.. Hope this helps in your search.:pray:crazy:cheers

Gerry

Supporting Member 1

Hey Bob,

I have a 3:42 ring & Pinion out of a 67 Chevy truck. GM gears, 12 bolt
and in nice condition. If you want it just pay the freight.

Gerry

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Gerry but I'm looking for something complete and ready to go. Never heard of a 3.42 btw. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
I finally found another wreck master tow truck! I was at a junkyard yesterday and spotted a tow truck so I had to check it out. The back half was an old wreckmaster setup, even the same model number as mine (410) Slightly different box, it had the style with a low front section where mine goes up to the back window and a different diamond plate pattern but everything else was the same. It was on a mid 80's GMC and was clearly added to that truck.

Nothing much I could use. The boom and upright didn't have much rust but not worth the expense to replace those parts when I can fix my originals.

Just neat to finally see another one. :pop

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well you do know that once you get this thing up and running,you'll see them all over the place,dont you?:dunno:roll

bobs409

Administrator
Nothing to report for now on this one. This project is on the back burner until some warmer weather. I've been working on the 63 Impala getting the new rockers and floors in.

Guess I should start a build thread for that one too. :deal