6x2 offy on a 409

ridgy didge

Well Known Member
Hello guys,i,m looking into a 409 engine,3844422 block standard bore,3830817 heads comes with 6 carb offy manifold plus holley 94 carbs.
Is this too much intake set up for these heads and a headache for an occasionally street driven hot rod.:?
If so would this manifold be hard to on sell.Thanks

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The wow effect of 6 carbs is out of this world. I wouldn't let the difficulty of keeping them in tune stop me from buying the engine. Single and duel quad manifolds and carbs are easily available. There are a bunch of hot rod/rat rod/street rod guys who would love the set up. If you decide to sell the difficulty will be based on what you want to get for it. I would do some research on Evilbay for past selling prices of similar set ups and price accordingly.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with Dick. Buy it and then see what you have. It would be different. You could always block off some of those '94s and run the engine with only two or four. Rebuildable '94s sell for 35 to 50 typically. That intake could be worth 500 to 700. I'd jump on it if it were me............ Walt

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
6x2s

I just talked to a fellow who put a 6x2 intake with those 94s on a 348 build, and he was satisfied with the results. He did mention that it cost a bit to properly rebuild the carbs, apparently they needed more than just a simple kit. I think Show Cars sells the linkage, if that is missing, and you can always fab up your fuel delivery if need be. But you may have a running setup, so that might not be an issue.

I'm thinking of using the 6x2s on the "409 Budget BuildUp" project, just for the wow factor. Just think how cool it will look when you pop the hood. You just have to love multiple carb setups just for their aesthetic value! Heads will be truck-based 333s with a bit of "Ronnie Russell" magic worked in :) :) :).

Good luck!
TomK

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 6x2 edelbock on my 348. I am just running the 2 centers right now. They are ok but not enough on their own. I have new kits for the other 4 I will put together over the winter. They look awesome with 6 velocity stacks. The satcks are old ones from the 60s they are made of steel. I am useing a fuel pressure reg.
The linkage is progreesive I got from Vintage Speed nice stuff. I am running the 333 heads with 2.06 intakes. It sounds differant with this intake than it did with the 409 400 hp intake. The sound is great more lope.:crazy
Go for it for sure. You can buy complete systems bolt on and go for $1700.00 If you can buld carbs yourself if not Dicks Hot Rods does and so does vintage Speed.

Attachments

• df2a_1.jpg
    df2a_1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 206

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey guys,I saw this listed for sale in Auto Round-Up Magazine((November 15,2009 issue).I have no connection to these parts or do I know the seller ,just passing info along.
"Ad States" 409 Eldelbrock 6 x2's ,with 6 Stromberg Carbs with Air Cleaners,excellent condition with complete linkage , $2000.00.For more info,call 920-346-2748.Parts are located in Brandon,Wisconsin. Price is a little higher than what JohnnyRod quoted. John

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Stromberg 97s are more money PaintJOHN than the Holley 94s. They are the ones people like the best. They look a lot alike.
The 97s have more external linkages and rods. They are allso an older carb than the Hollies. There is lots of info on these setups on the HAMB

ridgy didge

Well Known Member
Thanks for the responses guys,have decided with your help to do the deal:deal
.Gotta ship it across the country and put it together:pray
.I'll do the before and after photo's when available.Waiting on photo's from mate who checked it out for me..
Oh and i'm very happy with myself now too :)

Step

Supporting Member 1
I have the same block, heads and manifold with 6 Demon 98's and it runs well in a 2000 lb. T-bucket. The Demon carbs are larger than most 2 barrels, so to get everything to fit I had to make all the linkage myself, but other than that it was easy.

ridgy didge

Well Known Member
Hey Step,thanks for posting the photo's.That has some cool looking rods with engines that catch your attention,i'd hate to be paying your tyre bill :)
The model A sketch looks really tuff too.:beerbang

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I have a 6x2 edelbock on my 348. I am just running the 2 centers right now. They are ok but not enough on their own. I have new kits for the other 4 I will put together over the winter. They look awesome with 6 velocity stacks. The satcks are old ones from the 60s they are made of steel. I am useing a fuel pressure reg.
The linkage is progreesive I got from Vintage Speed nice stuff. I am running the 333 heads with 2.06 intakes. It sounds differant with this intake than it did with the 409 400 hp intake. The sound is great more lope.:crazy
Go for it for sure. You can buy complete systems bolt on and go for $1700.00 If you can buld carbs yourself if not Dicks Hot Rods does and so does vintage Speed.

With those velocity stacks they almost resemble a weber down draft setup. That's badass and totally unique on a 348!
DownDraft.jpg

sucp_0103_01_z+weber_481da_carb.jpg

ridgy didge

Well Known Member
Deposit sent for owner to organize packing and shipping.Here's a couple of shots.
When i get it all here and see what i have i'll post for some advice on which direction to take with components for the build..

Attachments

• 6x2 409.jpg
    6x2 409.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 409 front shot.jpg
    409 front shot.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 108

ridgy didge

Well Known Member
Oops, forgot to add...
I remember reading about louvered air cleaners that choke off a lot of horsepower.
Im guessing the ones on above photo's are the culprit cleaners???:dunno

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is that impressive or what. Nice find. And yes you are right about the flow restrictions with those air cleaners. Dyno tests showed more horsepower by replacing those. Guess we read the same article!:dunno
I see that Vic is now tooling up and producing new '94s rumored to be in the 200 dollar bracket each. They were supposed to be released in the fall of 09 but I have not seen them yet.
Keep us posted on your progress. Walt

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think those air cleaners allso draw air from under and around the covers. The filter is siting on top of a base. But all said the open filter style is probably better just a differant look.