70/71/72 402

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could be one one those camper special 2wd trucks, saw plenty of them with a bb.

Reactions: Tim

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My brother bought one of those 402 pickup engines. The block is all he used in his sons 70 chevelle. I would have let my nephew have the 70 ls5 engine i have.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The block should be ok, bonus is comes complete with all the front accessories, power steering, AC distributor, and a turbo 400. I could probably get it all for 1300. All the pieces and external parts would cost over half that. The trans is worth $400 here.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
with everything being said, the block, and crank would be the same for 396/402 for years 69-72? There were 2 castings, 854 and 290?
I think 396's were internally balanced and 402's were externally balanced engines.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're not planning on over 500 hp,6000 rpm for mostly street use Tim the stock cast crank will be fine as will the stock rod.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And this is why I ask questions, I don’t think now this guys knows what he has. I certainly don’t know any of this other than what he said but obviously isn’t right. It may Well be a bbc in a 4x4 but done at sometime after the fact and be a car engine transplant.
My money is its a 396 that has been bored to 402 so nothing we have said matters until you get casting numbers for the block and heads. LOL! Be sure to tell us which Quadra-Junk is on it because I hate those! :barf1

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Not like a complete big block shows up for sale every day in your neck of the woods. :dunno2

James that’s why it got my attention. Most everything around here has been abused and rebuilt 3 times. I was lucky to find that 348 I got but not likely will again.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If you're not planning on over 500 hp,6000 rpm for mostly street use Tim the stock cast crank will be fine as will the stock rod.

it would be a street engine. I have my eye on a 66 C-10 step side short box. It’s very plain with a 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. If I can get it it would be a long term project. An engine to build is a fun shed project like the 348 since I don’t have a garage yet.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My money is its a 396 that has been bored to 402 so nothing we have said matters until you get casting numbers for the block and heads. LOL! Be sure to tell us which Quadra-Junk is on it because I hate those! :barf1

I’ll have to wait a week or so to see it. I’d likely put a new carb on it anyway.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
it would be a street engine. I have my eye on a 66 C-10 step side short box. It’s very plain with a 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. If I can get it it would be a long term project. An engine to build is a fun shed project like the 348 since I don’t have a garage yet.
Is it easier to fit a bb or a w in a 66? BB headers or manifolds likely more available plus lots more bb stuff available aftermarket.

You’d need a clutch in this one, maybe 5 speed Richmond, so you wouldn’t need to screw around with all that lazy people automatic stuff?:winner