70/71/72 402

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just let us know which head this engine has.Some of these actually had good potential for a strong torquey street with about the same changes as you did to your 817's.Bigger valves,minor port and bowl work.If it has an 049 or 781 casting you've struck gold for what you want this engine to do.

Reactions: Tim

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
https://nastyz28.com/bbcmenu.php.
Tim I have a 1970 396 / 402 short block complete that has two bolt main caps with a forged steel crank. It is 10.25 compression and his 350 hp from the factory. I have never had a 396 or 402 block crack anywhere... I have a 65 396 that was also used in 66 for the 427 Corvette motor, both use same casting numbers and are available in two and four bolt mains. Your L78 and L89 engines typically were four bolt main with forged crack, 396 and 402 also had steel Forge crank but were usually two bolt main with cast cranks 427 and 454 were different stories. I have approximately six sets of different casting numbers of heads and about six different casting numbers for Big block chevys. The only blocks I ever see get broken are from rods breaking or motors freezing due to hard water inside. Good luck! Here is the motor in my beater nova right now. It is an LS6 short block 11.1 compression with aluminum 69 ZL1 rectangle port heads... and a four-speed of course:brow

1500.00 is a steal if all he told you is correct!182D2CD9-2115-425A-8812-00DF519D0B4B.jpeg

wristpin

Well Known Member
https://nastyz28.com/bbcmenu.php.
Tim I have a 1970 396 / 402 short block complete that has two bolt main caps with a forged steel crank. It is 10.25 compression and his 350 hp from the factory. I have never had a 396 or 402 block crack anywhere... I have a 65 396 that was also used in 66 for the 427 Corvette motor, both use same casting numbers and are available in two and four bolt mains. Your L78 and L89 engines typically were four bolt main with forged crack, 396 and 402 also had steel Forge crank but were usually two bolt main with cast cranks 427 and 454 were different stories. I have approximately six sets of different casting numbers of heads and about six different casting numbers for Big block chevys. The only blocks I ever see get broken are from rods breaking or motors freezing due to hard water inside. Good luck! Here is the motor in my beater nova right now. It is an LS6 short block 11.1 compression with aluminum 69 ZL1 rectangle port heads... and a four-speed of course:brow

1500.00 is a steal if all he told you is correct!View attachment 87578
What water pump is that?

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Short pump from speedway. Works perfect! I have the bypass under the thermostat hooked up to the pump now though, that way there’s no airlock when I change to water when I go to the track and back to antifreeze for cruising. Don’t want no hard water in my block!:wacko

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, I am confused. Has anyone seen a 402 emblem on the side of a any vehicle. I have looked on the always correct, and all knowing internet and cannot find one. The problem is I could swear on it, that I saw one in the early 80's on a vehicle, specifically a tan chevy truck, in Modesto CA. I guess I must be imagining it :wacko

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, I am confused. Has anyone seen a 402 emblem on the side of a any vehicle. I have looked on the always correct, and all knowing internet and cannot find one. The problem is I could swear on it, that I saw one in the early 80's on a vehicle, specifically a tan chevy truck, in Modesto CA. I guess I must be imagining it :wacko

is it because it was a 396 block? It’s well documented they are 402 from factory. Makes no sense they wouldn’t put 402 emblems on. Were 402 blocks all 396? Or did they change somewhere in 71/72?

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been told some late 69s got 402s. I don't have doc's to prove it.
GM saved money by using the same emblems for both BB and SB?
I'd have to ask my brother but I think 400 BB Malibu production in Canada was about 300 units.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My take on it was the SS396 already had a "name" for itself so changing that would just spoil the market especially since it was just a 30 over 396. The overbore was to lower emissions. So continuing the use of 396 emblems on an SS makes sense. But the trucks got a 400 emblem, the trucks should have had a 402 emblem.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ve read that the 402 emblem were not done because the smog emissions in 1970+ didn’t allow beyond 400 without penalties. Not sure how accurate that is since the breathers had those labels. Was there a rule on external advertising? Marketing was the other reason I read. 396 sounded better and why upset the Applecart. Still doesn’t explain why in non SS cars they called it 400 instead of 402 unless there’s something to the smog rules of the day. I was 2 in 1970 and the only smog I had was in a diaper!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve read that the 402 emblem were not done because the smog emissions in 1970+ didn’t allow beyond 400 without penalties. Not sure how accurate that is since the breathers had those labels. Was there a rule on external advertising? Marketing was the other reason I read. 396 sounded better and why upset the Applecart. Still doesn’t explain why in non SS cars they called it 400 instead of 402 unless there’s something to the smog rules of the day. I was 2 in 1970 and the only smog I had was in a diaper!

Smog reasons can't be since the 454 debuted in 1970