700R4 and 4L60E stamping numbers

denson1932

Well Known Member
I have two 700R4 (with Chevy V-8 bellhousing pattern) stamped on right rear above tranny oil pan:
5YK138H is 1985 but what vehicle/engine is 'YK'?
3VJ323D is 1983 but what vehicle/engine is 'VJ'?
I have a 4L60E with same B/H pattern:
4CCD020A is 1994 but with what vehicle/engine is 'CC'?
I search the internet for a listing of 700R4 and 4LE60E stamping codes and all i find is tranny ID articles showing the different pan gaskets...
can anyone link me to a comprehensive list of the tranny model stamping codes? thanks in advance or any help.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
1985 YK=5.0L Car(wagon)
1983 VJ=6.2L Dielsel C-Tuck/ G Van
94 =CC no definition to new for my book
MY ATSG manual does not mention anything on the 4L60 E only 700R4 and the 4L60

denson1932

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info! My understanding is 1993 the 4L60 still had a Throttle Valve Cable and shifting is not ECU controlled but the ECU is told what gear the tranny is in. The 1994 4L60E eliminated the TV Cable and the ECU controlled the tranny shifts. At least on the F body Camaro-Firebird.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm having the wagon 700r4 being built by a pro. I on the other hand am going to build my next 4L60e for manual shifting only. There is a couple of good 700r4 groups on facebook that have a number of transmission builders that give quick and concise information. The most important thing to remember is each year has its plus and minuses and the later the year the better.

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK maybe Corvette and Camaro got the updated 4L60E in 1994 after or before other GM makes...that's why i looking for info on this
4CCD020A is 1994 4L60E (M30)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The first year for the E trans was 94 in the Vetts and was known to have case issues.The vette trans had a unique tail shaft that is worth money .

Kaycee

Well Known Member
If the ID# has 3 letters it is a 88 or newer trans which included some upgrades to fix the weak links to from earlier years .

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I kinda forgot about my ATSG manuals. So I went out to the garage and looked. I have about 10 of them. Basically forgot all about them as I haven't looked at them or used them in well over 15 years. :doh Thanks for the reminder.
I forget about mine sometimes too. I was changing a output shaft in a 4l60e last weekend and started to look up the torque specs on line then remembered I have the manual in my cabinet.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I forget about mine sometimes too. I was changing a output shaft in a 4l60e last weekend and started to look up the torque specs on line then remembered I have the manual in my cabinet.

Part of the reason for my ignorance is that if I need anything transmission or use of a lift, I call my brother. At the very most I am charged cost for parts he doesn't have. Most of my life my transmissions are free or very close to it, so I tend not to look at those manuals anymore. :good

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your lucky. I’m unfortunately the brother the siblings bring stuff to to fix. I have some manuals so I can work on my own transmissions and learn things from it. So far the ones I have done have worked good. The last one I did was the first I did for someone else and it was for my sisters project so I didn’t mind that so much.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your lucky. I’m unfortunately the brother the siblings bring stuff to to fix. I have some manuals so I can work on my own transmissions and learn things from it. So far the ones I have done have worked good. The last one I did was the first I did for someone else and it was for my sisters project so I didn’t mind that so much.

Don't misunderstand, I am that brother too for the most part. Not just with the other brothers and sisters, my mom also. I also built transmissions in a trans shop for a short time in CA and CO. He just made a career of it, where as I made a career of not having a career. I get bored too easy, well until the current job, I guess it's become a career. So therefor he is the go to for me.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll be creating a new post with my 700r4 build because there a bunch of knowledge on 700R4 transmissions (best over-drive for chevy automatics without computer) that most people just don't know about. There are a number of important factors to consider outside of "which car, truck and engine was this 700r4 attached to from the factory?". I'm building what should easily handle over 600hp WITHOUT using the 5 pinion planets. Basically stuffing a bunch of Sonnax parts in it.