700r4 build

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My winter project. Build a new 700R4 for the Hell of it. I made the stand to hold the trans and fit on an engine stand. Lots of books, couple of videos and I am on my way. The one video I watched makes it all seem straight forward. Wish me luck. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• trans1.jpg
    trans1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
  • trans2.jpg
    trans2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 60
  • trans3.jpg
    trans3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 56
  • trans4.jpg
    trans4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 54

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If it's gonna be a stocker[under 350 hp] those books will be fine,if your gonna put any significant power thru it,check out PATC's site for the level 2 or 3 build.These transmissions will take a lot of abuse if built right,Good luck,and have fun.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have done a few 350's and 400's, only one 700R4 a few years ago. It backed out of the shop and is still running. Where is the "fingers crossed" smilie? A good book helped.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how to wire a 700 for a non computer car. ( a friend's 78 corvette) On my 200r4 I just have 12 volts on one wire.... I drive in "D" and put it in overdrive only when I want overdrive...

I know there are wiring kits to accomplish this, but it should be possible without one...

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Models,
You'll do fine. You built your engine, didn't you? Take your time, and make sure to keep everything
clean. I suggest you buy a tub of the "assembly jell". It helps to hold things in place.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how to wire a 700 for a non computer car. ( a friend's 78 corvette) On my 200r4 I just have 12 volts on one wire.... I drive in "D" and put it in overdrive only when I want overdrive...

I know there are wiring kits to accomplish this, but it should be possible without one...

You can wire the 700R4 to apply lockup using a toggle if that's what your asking.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Get a brake switch for an 80's model chevy with cruise control , nothing else needed. It will have 4 connectors. 2 for the brake lights and two for the lockup(cruise). The two you will use for the lockup will allow power to the trans until you hit the brakes, so it works just the opposite of the brake switch side. If you wire it backwards, the brake lights will be on until you hit the brake pedal...

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well it's done. I have to wait until spring for the install and test. I made all my own tools for this. Lots of testing and re-making, but all went well. Most of the time was waiting for parts I decided to upgrade to arrive. I have listed the holder on ebay now that I am done. Final pics of the transmission are there. I will update this in the spring.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120819059027?item=120819059027&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1062

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What did you use to install the new Teflon ring seals on the main shaft?
Just curious. I use an old glass pop bottle with a jentle, slow taper, to get
the seals "stretched" enough to slip over the shaft, and slide down into place.

I made my "specialized" tools too. Like the spring pack compressor, and the
adaptor for my engine stand, to hold the case.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I expanded the seals with one of those long nose funnels. Re-compressed them with an old pump slid over them for a couple of days.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I built and sold 7 of these things. All from Camaro/Firebird 91-92 cores. Lots of great parts cheap from Ebay. I would just buy the hi-perf parts as they would come up cheap and when I had everything, I would build one. I did it as a learning thing. I sold all of them one at a time as I finished them for only $500. Gave every buyer my phone number to call if anything ever went wrong or was wrong to start with. Never heard back from any of them. I called a place in MN called the Impala Shop who got the first one. Said it ran perfect. The last one sold went into a street version of a monster truck. I see it around once and a while and he says it's still going problem free. I keep putting off rebuilding the one in my 62. It was built by a Camaro road race guy and has been trouble free until lately. Front seal is leaking from multiple converter changes. It will come out when I get tired of cleaning the drain pan under the car in the garage.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good for you Models. Too many people think building transmissions is some scary black art thing. The fact of it is that like anything, if you do it professionally, you will be better at it, and know more about it. However if people really knew how many parts changers there are in "Most" transmission shops, they would try building their own. First question to ask any transmission builder is, do they understand, and can they explain power flow? If not, they are parts changers. Consider someone else. I built transmissions for a short time. I can honestly say that I am in between a parts changer and a good builder. Mostly because I did it for such a short time. However it really isn't that hard. If it was, well, most builders would not be builders, they would all be R&R guys. Keep up the good work Models.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Only thing which keeps me from rebuilding an automatic is the tools. I don't have them and not sure I can convince the checkbook they are needed for a one time use.