700r4 transmission needs a torque converter for my wagon.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My 700r4 is finally at Advanced Transmissions in Knoxville Iowa getting built. What a pain it has been attempting to get this project off the ground with my previous builder situation. Its in the hands of the pros now so I am very excited to get it back. If you have raced in any motor sport you have probably raced against one of their transmissions at some point. They are going to use all of the parts I bought and get this baby done. Bruce took a look at everything and said I've bought it all as far as he could tell. I picked the best parts I could find and took months studying the 700r4 so this thing had better be bullet proof.
My only question is what torque converter BRAND does everyone like? NO, I'm not going to spend $1000 on some custom piece. I am working out the last details on the stall for this wagon but the main thing is it will have to be with a Lock-up. Who is using what brands, I have a few favorites and have a couple of helpful suggestions already. Thanks guys!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
You need to talk to a good convertor company with all your specs. A GOOD one can flash but still be efficient. The cheaper ones I've used have been a waste of money.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll be calling them all and see who recommends what. I'll report back and fill in behind each make for reference later.
4300lb car, 3.70 posi, 3.06 1st gear, 10" converters, lock up, 30 spline in the 3200-3500 range stall
TCI : Super Streetfighter $594
ATI : Super Streetmaster, Billet front, $735
PATC : MegaRaptor-2, 10.5" all Billet, $795
Yank : SS Series Converters 9.5" billet $950
B&M : Holeshot $522
ProTorque : Recommends ProDrive series with billet front half, good for 650hp $800. With my set up though they have a 500hp version for $580
Precision Industries : Vigilante, single disk, Forged CNC front cover, 3600 stall, $900
Phoenix : PTGM18/245 $488 or Billet cover $760
Thor : Stall: 3200-3600 450H Street Warrior Level 2-4, $700-1300
Circle D : 4L60 LT, select your stall, 9.75" Billet front, $1000
Hughes performance: 22-35BLHD, Billet front, $1293
Hays performance : Twister 3/4 race, 9.6", 3200-3600, good for 650hp, $512
Bosshogtorque : Street Bandit $535
Perfect converter company :

Everyone is right, its not just about price and I don't intend on buying another one after this.

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I built a 700r4 for a big block Camaro drag race car, the owner bought a Boss hog converter. Can't remember if it had lockup or not. He never had any problems with it. He ended up switching to th400.

427John

Well Known Member
I used a Boss Hog years and years ago when they were still known as Alabama Converters or ACC,it was very inexpensive but I couldn't have been happier with how it worked.I never had any trouble with it and when I sold the car the guy that bought it drove it a lot and never had any trouble with it,but since then I have heard not so good reviews of them but not from anyone I know to be a good source.It was either people that I didn't really know or somebody that I knew to be the kind of guy that would run his shit low of oil or fluid and then complain when it blew up.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Another trans company you can talk to you is “ Gearstar” in Akron Ohio.
they were very knowledgeable and helpful that built my 700r4.
the first thing they asked was” what was the purpose are for the trans & horsepower/ weight of the vehicle”.
My 700r4 is for cruising with my 4000# Impala conv. But I wanted a hard shifting so that’s what they gave me.
They asked what converter I wanted and I let them supply what was best for the shift I wanted.
Since you have everything else covered want don’t you look on line at GearStar.com and read what they say, then call them just to see what they recommend.

Dave

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another trans company you can talk to you is “ Gearstar” in Akron Ohio.
they were very knowledgeable and helpful that built my 700r4.
the first thing they asked was” what was the purpose are for the trans & horsepower/ weight of the vehicle”.
My 700r4 is for cruising with my 4000# Impala conv. But I wanted a hard shifting so that’s what they gave me.
They asked what converter I wanted and I let them supply what was best for the shift I wanted.
Since you have everything else covered want don’t you look on line at GearStar.com and read what they say, then call them just to see what they recommend.

Dave
I'll give them a call tomorrow based on your review. They were on the list but were pulled off today because in general I don't deal with companies that don't cover all of their products and services online. They talk about their converters but don't have any online. That tells me that their business is to sell transmissions and not build converters. There are half a dozen well known transmission companies that should be on this list but they focus on transmissions not torque converters. Out of the 6 I would mention, most of them don't even make their own and simply use someone else's. My view is talk to the builders not the sellers but I'll check with Gearstar but I am guessing they use someone else's torque converters. I'll find out and report back.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One of the first guys I spoke to explained Billet is to #1. Be able to add larger clutch systems in them to lock over drive. In some cases they could put 3 clutch systems in them to lock the over drive in hard. I won't be racing with my overdrive system. #2. Durability is extended far beyond a stamped case. #3. Weight is reduced in most cases too. He also mentioned that since this car isn't going to be strictly track only that he was on the fence as to whether I really needed his billet case when they have an identical single clutch system in a torque converter that costs nearly $300 less. If I were going to use 2 or 3 locking clutches I would not even think twice about using anything but billet. In my case I can take it or leave it. With the guts I bought for my 700r4 it should be able to handle up to 750hp easy but my 434ci isn't going to hit that HP mark and I don't plan on including any power adders to the family Space Shuttle.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The first 5,000 rpm shift threw the ballance weight off a NEW mid cost thor 700r4 converter - in my car for a week. I was soooo pissed it was sold to the scrapper the next day. Purchased a Jegs house brand which has taken all the abuse I have thrown at it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That clutch isn't for overdrive, it's for the lockup converter.
Yes, only when I use my over drive will I use my lock up. I know some plan to use it while racing as well but I won't be going that route. I'm running the biggest and heaviest car and I don't have the biggest or best power to make it competitive but I will have a ton of fun without using my lock up while racing.
Here is a good video for anyone that doesn't understand the difference. This is all about lock-up converters for drag racing.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm doing my best to not get to carried away with the wagon. My 2dr sedan is going to be the drag strip beast so I'm not to worried. I have been told if I wanted, I can lock it up while racing every now and then with a single clutch set up but I don't think its going to be important to me with the wagon. Besides if Paul comes up on me that fast again then I better be reaching for a 300 shot of NOS!
SpaceShuttle ready for liftoff.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The first 5,000 rpm shift threw the ballance weight off a NEW mid cost thor 700r4 converter - in my car for a week. I was soooo pissed it was sold to the scrapper the next day. Purchased a Jegs house brand which has taken all the abuse I have thrown at it.
My wagon is currently running a Jegs house brand and though I'm only pushing 300hp I have been pretty hard on it. 3000 stall/10" converter. Still put over 3000miles on it this last year.