817 head

409hotrod49merc

Hey Guys,
Been awhile since I posted, my day job sets me back, but I still catch the forum often....
I have had a time with my 817 heads I purchased awhile back, they were suppose to be ready to bolt on.....good thing we checked them...pressure test showed two cylinders on each head showed no pressure... (mind you the valves had been ground, and heads surfaced)
I think Ray Charles, might have worked on these heads. One had a crack, that was repaired.
The margin on the valves varied like crazy, had to order in a new set of stainless. After that, It was time to change out some rocker studs, because the top of the threads on some were cross threaded (how do you do that??)
Here's my question : Note these were stock rocker bolts, did notice one was missing and was tapped.. Someone at one time pulled one loose, tried to drill it ( probably in the car, and tapped it, but they drilled it crooked. As the head sets on the work bench, and you screw in a stud, it is not verticle.
We set a rocker on it and check side to side, looked like it would be okay, just really don't like it being out of verticle..... any suggestions ???
Thanks, Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Perhaps,drill it out straight and "heli-coil" it back to the correct size? Damn I hate "slip-shod" workmanship!:cuss

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
might get more response if we can get this moved to the 348-409 forum Bob you out there??

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
you are better off having a reputable shop put screw in studs in anyway, The cross pins really can only be pushed out with the heads disassembled. Also the original push in studs rockwell at 38-40c so they are very brittle especialy after 50 years service. a new set of ARP studs is CHEAP insurance. I just went thru your saga with the heads on my 409. Good luck!!!!
Big Jim