962 Block

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just acquired another piece of cast iron. A friend of mine had a block he thought was a 409 truck block and finally after pounding the pistons out discovered the cylnders were cracked and was going to junk it. He offered it to me if I wanted it so on the assuption that it was a 409 block I went over to his place to pick it up. When I got there I was surprised to find a 962 CFD casting with a 302 cast date and T1108 assembly date. Where the suffix code should be is "2K". I have never seen a 962 block although I have seen it referenced in Colvin's book. It has the X on the front of the left bank and on the front under the timing cover is 814 962 011. He was surprised when I told him it was a 348 truck block not a 409. He thought the X meant 409. Now what I'm wondering is if the cyl walls are thick enough for a 4.31 bore. If so it might be worth sleeving some day but probably not now. I guess I will have to have it sonic checked to know for sure. Does anyone have a 962 block and if so has it been successfully bored to 4.31? It might be worth saving if it can be bored to 409 specs.
:scratch

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
962 blocks

Cecil:

I've got a "962" replacement block, and I think (if I remember, it's been a few years) it is a passenger block. Had it cleaned up just under .030" and put it to rest on an engine stand. Not sure when these were made, was it 1960-61?

Hope the sonic check works out, who knows you might have a block for that impending '61 project :).

Cheers,
TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom,
It's a CFD block cast on the 302 day (Oct 29)of 62 or 63. Probably 62 as I understand the 814 and other CFD blocks appeared after June of 62. This block was assembled on November 8. and was cast using the same mold as the 814. If I have it fugured out correctly the numbers on the front under the timing cover are the last 3 digits of the block castings that used the same outer mold. It shows 814, 962, and 011.
It has a single notch in each cylinder and the right front mounting bosses are drilled and tapped as are the left. It was most likely a truck block but could be a service 348 block for any application. The part I can't figure out is the suffix code. The T1108 is distinct and the "2K" is also distinct but is separated from the assembly date by about an inch of space instead of right up against it. Maybe a tractor engine?