a 983 GMC used to be a tandem axel

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If one wants a real challenge,try a 702 cu.inch GMC V-12.We did one for a friend who was building a copy of an old Duesenberg.It was fun,all 1450 lbs.of it.The guys at Thunder V-12 supplied the parts and tech.advise.It went from 250 horses to about 500 and we didn't have to turn it past 5,000.I felt that there was more available,but Thunder didn't have their aftermarket heads and intakes ready yet.
What kinda torque did something like this have Don? That’s a lot of mass moving and likely bigger pistons than the Zephyr V12 flathead?

62BillT

Well Known Member
A GMC 702 V-12 is like 2 351 V-6's stuck together. The specs for the 702, like the pistons for example were like the 351. The Heads were also the same.

I used to drive both a 478 V-6 and a 637 V-8. Interestingly the 637 was like a 478 with 2 extra cylinders welded on, also cubic inch wise. But just as looks go and cubic inches go. On the inside they were very different. The 478 was a lugger, full of torque like a Mack. The 637 was a revver like a Detroit.

427John

Well Known Member
A 460 Ford is like a 400 lb. man trying to breath through a straw.

And replace those peanut port heads!
Technically its a 400 pound man trying to exhale thru a straw since the BBF intake port is more than capable even in the non-CJ versions,and once you do a little easy porting on the exhaust port they make plenty of power.The carbureted version of 460 was never saddled with a peanut port head unike every 454 from the mid 70's to the mid 90's,when they went to efi at the end of the 80's they did decrease the size of the ports some but it still wasn't as small as the 454 peanuts.As far as weight my engine hoist strains equally hard for BBC's as it does for BBF's.Its kind of like a fat guy calling a fat guy fat.