A arms & ball joints the same on Impala as Corvette?

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Are the a-arms & ball joints the same on a 60 Impala as a 63 Corvette? The reason I am asking is Bair's Corvettes in Pennsylvania will rivet on ball joints to a-arms that customers send to them. I called and talked to Mike and he said he had a machine made that would rivet on the ball joints just like the factory, but told me that he is only set up to do Corvette ones. He said the 58 Impala are the same but he thought the others were different. I told him I thought they were the same. Does anybody know if the a-arms are the same and the ball joints? Their replacement ball joints looked natural and the others I've seen are black, so obvious I would rather buy the natural ones and not have to bead blast new ones. I bought some replacement rivets off of e-bay that you could use screws with but was very disappointed in that they didn't look anything like the originals. If they are different is there any other companies or individuals that offer this service? IMG_2993.JPGIMG_2995.JPG

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same ball joints, in fact same suspension. Why do you want to rivet them on? That's a Corvette dude thing, so they can pretend it's original.
The upper cross shaft has a slight difference but it's all the same otherwise. In fact, 1963-82 Corvettes are essentially riding on 1958 Chevy car front suspension:eek1

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So the ball joints are the same, so the a-arms are the same? He just told me that his jig to do the riveting was set up for the size of the Corvette one. I want to rivet them on because they look more like the original ones from the factory. I have not found any bolts that look similar to how these look. 5080e.gif

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same O same O
So you're entering the world of Corvette idiotocracy.
Who's looking at the ball joints? LOL
That matters to Corvette guys that enter in original class for their big buck make believe car.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same O same O
So you're entering the world of Corvette idiotocracy.
Who's looking at the ball joints? LOL
That matters to Corvette guys that enter in original class for their big buck make believe car.

The rear suspension was the only thing "unique" on 63-82 Corvettes, the C1/C2 used 1949 Chevy car front suspension

bobs409

Administrator
My 63 still has it's originals in good condition. Car has 86K original miles and was owned by all ladies until me. :D I guess they took good care of it.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The ball joints are not the same as a Corvette but the spacing of the rivets may be the same. I would take the ball joint to him and see if his fixture fits. Actually looking at the Chevrolet and Corvette parts books nothing seems to be interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

Bill

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The ball joints are not the same as a Corvette but the spacing of the rivets may be the same. I would take the ball joint to him and see if his fixture fits. Actually looking at the Chevrolet and Corvette parts books nothing seems to be interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

Bill

They both use the K6034 and K6035 ball joints, so what's the difference? I guess the Corvette one is special:roll

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They both use the K6034 and K6035 ball joints, so what's the difference? I guess the Corvette one is special:roll

I always feel like you have something to prove, why are you always so negative. Is there something wrong with taking the time to make it look original, everything isn't built like a street rod.

As far as the ball joints fitting here are two listings from Summit for Moog ball joints

This one shows impala upper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k6034/applications/model/impala/year/1966

This one shows Corvette upper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...966/make/chevrolet/model/corvette?prefilter=1

I looked in the Chevrolet parts books and they too show different ball joints.

Other than that pretty much everything on the Corvette is different and the frame is much heavier which improves the handling.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The ball joints and A arms are the same, The only differenced is the upper cross shaft has a slightly different spacing of the holes between the two. 58-64 Chevy car, aka Impala and 1963-up Corvette. It's not good that you put out misinformation.
Both use K6034 and K6035. You may want to get a better source of information.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always feel like you have something to prove, why are you always so negative. Is there something wrong with taking the time to make it look original, everything isn't built like a street rod.

As far as the ball joints fitting here are two listings from Summit for Moog ball joints

This one shows impala upper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k6034/applications/model/impala/year/1966

This one shows Corvette upper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...966/make/chevrolet/model/corvette?prefilter=1

I looked in the Chevrolet parts books and they too show different ball joints.

Other than that pretty much everything on the Corvette is different and the frame is much heavier which improves the handling.

You used 1966 Impala which happens to also use the K6034, the 1966 Corvette also uses the K6034, this is from your own source (*Summit link)
You proved yourself wrong, again:lmao

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I know it is difficult for someone like you to read the whole thing but if you would just read the first entry you could get up off your ass and quit laughing.

Here I will post it for you so you don't have so much to read.

upload_2015-1-14_20-37-4.pngupload_2015-1-14_20-37-4.png

I wanted to be sure you could read this but it says 59 to 70.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know it is difficult for someone like you to read the whole thing but if you would just read the first entry you could get up off your ass and quit laughing.

Here I will post it for you so you don't have so much to read.

View attachment 32013View attachment 32013

I wanted to be sure you could read this but it says 59 to 70.

WTF? At this point I don't even know what you're arguing, do you know? 1958-1970 Impala uses same upper and lower ball joints as the C2/C3 Corvettes, the upper arms are essentially the same, the lower arms from 1965-up are different then the Corvette. The original poster has a 1960 Impala, YES his upper A arms are the same as the Corvettes and that shop should be able to rivet the upper ball joints in since they're the same.
Got it?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"I wanted to be sure you could read this but it says 59 to 70."

Yes it does. What's your point?
Maybe you're still in a drunken stuper from Mondays game?

Your links show that 1963-1980 ball joints for Corvette are the same as 1959-1970 Impala, YES they are. 1958 is also the same.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Actually I never had a drink on Monday, didn't want to miss any of that game. Maybe since you have apparently changed into a woman it is that time for you.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually I never had a drink on Monday, didn't want to miss any of that game. Maybe since you have apparently changed into a woman it is that time for you.

You might want to start drinking then. You said: " The ball joints are not the same as a Corvette....."
Your own links proves that they are. Stop giving out bad info.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Hope that helps.

Bill

Bad info

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well I didn't think I would start an argument over a simple question. Thanks for the clarification on the ball joints. I think that I can send them to him and he can rivet them on for me. I'll let everyone know how they turn out when I get them back for the guys on this forum trying to do ground up restorations. Thanks again.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay, cut the shit. I like Bill because he is honest, knowledgeable, straightforward and gives his honest opinion. I like Mike because he is honest, knowledgeable, straightforward and gives his honest opinion. . This forum needs you both. You don't have to be friends but you can respect each other and be civil. We need you both,,, don't let something this trivial cause major friction.