A/C Help

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey guys,

I want to convert my a/c on my 63 to r134a . I have a factory air car was wondering if anyone has done that? And how it’s worked out? I’m going to change to new poa valve, lines, accumulator, and most likely compressor?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I converted my 62 Impala Hardtop with factory air about 12 years ago to 134a
the car came from California with factory air that was not hooked up but complete.
  1. I installed new correct type hoses for factory air with factory clamps for the hoses
  2. Had my suction throttling valve (mounted on the evaporator under the fender) rebuilt and updated by Old Air Products in Texas
  3. Add a new switch below the blower also from Old Air Products (this switch improves operation
  4. I added a new compressor but your original if working I would think would work (ask Old Air Products)
  5. 10 + years now it works great will freeze you out
  6. I had a 62 SS convertible that had factory air and was still running R-12 and worked great
Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the info Paul, so I’m guessing you used factory evaporator and condenser?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
yes I used the factory evaporator and condenser. You need new o ring set for the entire system and a new dryer(Old Air Products has them)
I had friends recharge and evacuate the existing system (as I recall) so it could be switched from R-12 to R-134A.

I am about to do the same by charging with R-134A a complete original factory air system on my 62 SS 409 convertible. It has a number of NOS parts and the evaporator was restored in Florida. I also installed a NOS condenser, NOS muffler on the back of a new A6 compressor and new original style dryer and all new O rings with the correct oil on the O rings.

Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That’s all good info thank you. I’ve converted newer cars but never something this old. Just was concerned about about mixing old parts with new. Did you move out the charging poa valve?